Chapter Thirty-Nine

Foy was rubbing her eyes open when she walked out of her bedroom and gasped. Grabbing her chest, she angrily stared at Hoss, who was laying on her couch, asleep and snoring. Loudly. The nerve of him. Somehow, she had forgotten that after they left Solomon's funeral home, Hoss insisted on coming over so they could discuss their plan further. She didn't remember at what point they'd fallen asleep but now it was morning and she wasn't used to waking up with someone else in her apartment. Formerly a two-bedroom, her now one bedroom apartment was just enough space for her and her alone. Shaking her head, she made her way into the bathroom and brushed her teeth. After she washed her face, she walked into the kitchen and put on a fresh pot of coffee.

Pouring two cups, she walked over to the couch and kicked Hoss' leg with her foot. "Jonah, wake up." When he didn't move, she kicked his leg again. This time, harder. "Jonah!"

"Huh?! What?! Where's my gun?!" Hoss' head popped up and he turned over, nearly falling off the couch before he caught himself. He looked up and noticed Foy standing over him. "What the hell did you do that for?"

"Here," she said, handing him his cup of coffee. "Drink this so you can wake up."

Hoss groaned as he sat up and grabbed the cup. "Thanks."

"No problem."

"What time is it?"

Foy sat cross-legged in her brown leather chair and looked at the time on the wall clock. "It's almost nine," she replied, sipping her coffee.

"Shit, we're gonna be late for work," Hoss said, shrugging. "Oh well. If the Captain wasn't already looking for a reason to fire me, he has one now."

Foy reached for the remote on the coffee table and turned on the TV. The words BREAKING NEWS flashed across the screen in big bold uppercase letters. Pressing the mute button, she unmuted the TV and turned on the volume. The female news reporter was talking about an emergency press conference taking place at the Camden Hills Town Hall.

Mayor Gerald Royce has just arrived here at Camden Hills Town Hall, where an emergency meeting will be taking place between him and the Chief of Police, Sam Whitlock and the Captain of the Camden Hills Police Department, Francisco Medina. Details of this emergency meeting are still unknown but the residents of Camden Hills suspect that it may have something to do with the recent string of heinous murders in and around Delta District. Four women were brutally found murdered... the story first broke when a news article by Jesse Sheppard of the Camden Hills Chronicle...

Foy muted the TV again and looked at Hoss. "I think the Captain may be a little busy today."

"You don't think this is Harrison's doing, do you?" Hoss asked.

"I don't know but it sure is convenient as hell, don't you think?"

"Well, we can say goodbye to getting a search warrant for Carlyle Industries." Hoss sucked his teeth and put his cup on the coffee table. "I don't get it. How does this one old guy manage to keep staying one foot ahead of us?"

"It's all about who you know," Foy said.

"And how much money you have too."

"Okay, so the warrant is out, right? What if we don't need a warrant?"

Hoss looked at Foy and raised his eyebrow. "Without a warrant, we have no way of getting inside of that building," he said. "And definitely no way of finding out what Harrison's hiding in the Lower Levels."

Foy placed her cup on the coffee table and said, "If we can get JR Carlyle to give us permission, we don't need a warrant. We can walk right in."

As if a lightbulb went off in his head, Hoss' eyes brightened up. "Oh shit, you're right," he said, snapping his fingers. "Okay, but how are we gonna convince Harrison's daughter to let us snoop around? She's still his daughter."