Chapter Seven

How was it possible for someone to oversleep without ever going to sleep? As soon as Drue opened her eyes, she knew she was late. She jumped out of the bed and took the quickest shower she could. She didn't even bother brushing her hair or putting on makeup. If she looked like crap, then so be it. It was already too late for Lex to pick her up, so she had to call a cab. As she sat in the back of the cab, she realized how much she missed having a car. Having her car. And although her Celica was irreplaceable, she knew she was going to have to end up buying a new one. With fifteen minutes left before she was officially late, she made it to Mr. Layfield's classroom by the skin of her teeth. But that didn't stop her professor from reprimanding her once the bell rang. Her morning classes flew by but that was easy when her mind was off in the clouds somewhere. Her last class of the day was Economics and whoever decided that class should be two hours long had to be a masochist. Her professor, Mr. Solomon had a monotone voice and moved slower than he spoke. And if that wasn't bad enough, she shared this class with Dahlia. She had never been tortured before but sitting across from Dahlia felt as close to it as she was going to get.

She was settling into her seat when the sound of pretentious laughter filled the classroom. When she looked up, Dahlia was walking in, flogged by her two best friends, Alison Gilmore and Ellie Markham. They circled around her like vultures, hanging onto her every word like they were members of a cult.

But Dahlia Rutherford was too shallow and spoiled of a person to think of anyone else besides her. The typical rich girl whose idea of abuse was her mother taking away her credit card. As soon as she walked into the classroom, she caught Drue looking at her and rolled her eyes.

The feeling was mutual.

Seth walked in next and Drue watched Dahlia jog up to him and throw her arms around his neck. She gave him a kiss on the lips, ignoring the less than pleased expression on his face. It must have been embarrassing any time she did things like that, because it was all an act for her. Seth was nothing more than a prop. A pretty shiny handbag she could show off. And the fact that Drue was forced to watch them made it all the much sweeter for Dahlia. But little did she know, Drue had already won the battle. Because underneath all of that smug confidence, Drue knew that it must have burned Dahlia to her core to know that she was Seth's second choice. Poor girl.

After class, Drue was packing up her books when Seth walked up to her. "Let me guess, bedroom bliss?"

She shrugged. "Huh?"

"Your hair," he said, patting the top of his head. "It's usually out but today it's in a bun, so I'm assuming you were running late this morning." Drue couldn't find the words. She felt bad. She didn't know he had paid that much attention to her. Her lack of a response made Seth drop his shoulders. "Bad joke. Got it."

Anytime they spoke to each other, Drue felt like she was on the verge of hurting his feelings. "Yeah, I-I've been playing catch up since the accident. Sorry."

"Yeah, I heard. I'm sorry I didn't visit you in the hospital. I-I wasn't sure if it was--"

"No, it's okay. I wasn't there long enough anyway. But thanks."

"How are you feeling, otherwise?"

"I'm good."

"Good enough to come to my game tonight?" He pulled a flier out of his bookbag and handed it to her.

She took the flier and looked at it. The Springfield University Bulldogs against the Camden Hill Hounds, Game 6 of 7. She must have completely blocked out the posters that were plastered around across. "I'm sure I can make an appearance," she said, looking up with a smile.

Seth returned her smile with one of his own. Their brief moment was then interrupted by the appearance of Dahlia. She appeared beside him and said, "Babe, come on. You have to drive me home so I can change before the game."