Chapter Fifteen

After noticing the duffel bag Ryan bought sitting on the floor, Virek remembered that Drue went upstairs and never came back down. He grabbed the bag and made his way upstairs. He was surprised to see her sitting on the edge of the bed. She had her head down.

He dropped the duffel bag in the chair by the bed. "If you want some privacy, I could--"

Drue shrugged. "I don't know what I need," she said.

And she needs you. Ryan's words circled in the back of Virek's mind. He walked up to the bed and sat beside her. "So, let's just sit here then."

"You don't have to pretend to be nice to me. I know you're mad."

"I'm not--" he paused and realized what she really meant. "So, you heard that?" He nodded. "Look, I'm not gonna pretend that I'm not cross with your mother but that has nothing to do with you."

"That didn't stop you from accusing me of lying to you though."

"I know and I'm sorry for that," he said, looking at her. "I'll admit that what happened earlier could've gone differently."

"It went the way you wanted it to."

"Drue, that's not true."

She frowned. "Oh no? Because instead of telling me what you found out, you had Sven bring my mom."

"Yes but--"

"You wanted an audience, so you could embarrass me," she interrupted. "Well, you succeeded. If you ever wanted a way to get me out of your life, here it is."

"How little you think of me," Virek said, looking at her. "If I wanted you out of my life, I wouldn't have saved you from the Harp and I wouldn't have let you stay in my bed. I'll admit that a couple of days ago, I would've taken pleasure in what happened but I don't. So, if you're hurt, I'm sorry." He thought about the look on her face when he walked through the door of that stock room. "I would never want to hurt you."

"Is that true?" she asked, in a tiny voice.

"Yes. I would never hurt you and I would never lie to you. It wouldn't do me any good."

As he sat there looking at her, she felt breathless. It was the way his eyes seemed to always look through her. Like he was looking into her soul. "Okay," she said, biting on her bottom lip. "So, what now?"

"We could either sit here or you could get dressed and we can get out of here."

"And go where?" she asked, smiling.

"Does it matter? Get dressed."

Virek was being very secretive about where he was taking her. Any time Drue asked him where he was taking her, he would avoid her questions or answer her question with a question. He kept telling her to be patient, which was making her more impatient.

When he pulled up in front of a random street corner, Drue was confused. Virek stepped out of the car and walked up to a newspaper vending machine. Leaning closer towards the window, she watched as a small door flashed on the back of the vending machine. Did she really just see that? She watched as Virek stuck his hand inside, but he didn't pull out a newspaper. He pulled out a card and closed the vending machine. The door on the back flashed again and then it disappeared.

After Virek got back in the car, Drue turned and looked at him like she had seen a ghost. "What?" he asked.

"What just happened? I saw a small door flash on the back of that vending machine, right? I wasn't imagining that."

"No, no you weren't," Virek replied, smiling.

"But you didn't take out a newspaper."

"No, I didn't." He held up the card and she looked at it, eventually raising an eyebrow.