Chapter 77: Sausage...What Did You Do?

Start from the beginning

"Okay, okay I know." I said, holding my hands up in defense. "Just trying to make it easier for my people, you know?"

"And I'm trying to make it safer for mine. I know what you Mythlanders tend to turn up as." Gem said, her eyes narrowed but this time in an almost playful way.

"You know it." I smirked, leaning back in the chair and kicking up my boots onto Gem's desk.

Gem glared at me, raising her staff, before, with a short purple blast, she had knocked both my legs off the desk and me off my chair. "HEY—" I said as I hit the ground, instantly scrambling to my feet.

"Hm?" Gem asked, glancing up from a stack of folders she had just begun to go through as if nothing had happened. The corners of her mouth twitched, and I knew she was trying to hide a smirk.

"Jerk..." I mumbled, sitting back down in my seat, and brushing off my robes.

"What was that?" The ginger asked, raising a threatening eyebrow.

"Nothing! I said absolutely nothing whatsoever! You should get your ears checked; they might be as blind as your eyes!"

Gem blinked at me, a look of confusion on her face. "Wha—" she started, looking at me as if I were crazy. "You know what, never mind...I don't want to know."

"No you do not." I agreed, grinning at her, to which she rolled her eyes.

"Moving on, do you have any other questions?" She asked, stacking the folders into a neat pile to her left.

"Yes! I did actually- considering the fact my people will now be allowed to attend the academy, we will of course have a representative on the Azurite school board, correct?" I asked.

Gem pursed her lips. "Well... none of the other kingdoms have that privilege...not even the Grimlands."

"Ah well, it was worth a shot." I shrugged, leaning back again in the seat. A feeling of...almost dread had been growing in the pit of my stomach during the past few days. Almost, a warning, or an expression of foreboding. "Besides the egg...anything else...strange happening?" I asked slowly.

Gem blinked before narrowing her eyes. "What did you do?" she demanded.

"Nothing I swear!"

"That's what you said about Xornoth!" She snapped, her expression incredibly suspicious.

"I promise, I didn't do anything!" I said again, holding my hands up in defense as she held her staff to my neck. "I was just wondering- I've had a weird feeling all week and I was curious!"

"What kind of 'weird feeling'?" Gem questioned, her expression remaining.

"Just that- something bad is about to happen! I can't explain it!" I said, nearly falling out of my seat again as I tried to move away from her staff.

"But why do you feel like something bad is about to happen?"

"I just said I don't know! I promise, I'm not lying!" I insisted. "But..."

"But what?" She asked, frowning now as she withdrew her staff and sat back in her seat.

"I want to be prepared," I said, speaking quickly and hoping she wasn't paying enough attention to deny what I was about to request. "So, I was wondering if maybe I could possibly have my staff back—"