Chapter 5: Scott POV

Erin landed in front of the doors and barged into the palace, breaking down the doors before I could unlock them.

She sprinted up the steps and I followed calling, "Where are you going!?" She stormed into her room, grabbed a backpack and for the second time recently, began piling items in. I saw her pull a piece of navy-blue cloth from under her sheets and stuff it in there.

She looked up at me finally. "We have to get out of here." I could tell by the tone of her voice she was dead serious. "Someone will come for you after they found out you have no control. And the kingdom will hopefully thaw once we leave."

"We?" I asked.

"Yes of course we. I'm not leaving you." She said with a glare.

"But Erin what if I hurt you next!" I cried. "How would I be able to live with that?"

"Pfft, get over yourself, you wouldn't be able to freeze me even if you tried to." She said, slinging the bag over one of her shoulders before grabbing her daggers. "Now get what you need. We need to go, now."

I nodded and sprinted out of her room. I grabbed my own bag from my room and started to stuff clothes into it. While I was doing that, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. My cheeks and nose were raw with cold. My lips were practically blue along with my fingers. My hair was matted with frost and ice. My eyes seemed to flicker a shade of icy blue...

I forced myself to look away and finish packing. The last thing I grabbed was the photo of me and Xornoth as kids. It had grown to be my most important possession...besides the crystal of course.

I met Erin in the entrance hall after she had grabbed other essentials. She was wearing the warmest clothes she could find and her lace up boots. I sighed and took my crown off before entering the throne room. It seemed to take forever for me to get to the throne. I positioned the crown on the seat.

"The elves will be fine..." I said, trying to convince myself. "Yeah...they'll be fine."

Erin stepped up next to me and grabbed my hand. I looked down at her before hugging her. "You know, I don't think you're really as heartless as you think you are." I said. Erin didn't answer but she did squeeze me tighter. That made the crystal press into my chest, and I realized something. I couldn't bring it.

I had noticed it had been getting dimmer the colder it got. Xornoth lived off of heat and spite. There was no way the crystal would survive wherever we were going.

I pulled the crystal off from the chain. "I need to hide this." I said. "Somewhere they won't find it. And I think I have the perfect spot."

I led her to the meeting room, inside of the cliff face.

"It's a mountain." She said, staring at the mountain.

"Not just a mountain." I pulled the lever and the stone moved to let us enter. I could tell Erin was trying not to look impressed.

She stepped inside and looked around the hall. "So this is where y'all planned to destroy me?" she said. "Sweet."

Frost started to creep inside here as well now. Might as well make this quick. I jogged down the steps and came to the shelf on one side of the table. I gently placed the crystal in the center, and it floated a few inches above, rotating slowly.

"He'll be safer here." I said.

Erin stared at it sadly. "Come on, Scott." She sighed and grabbed my wrist. I followed her outside and we stood together on the edge of the main mountain Rivendell was on.

I took one last look at my kingdom. "They'll be better off without me." I whispered to myself before me and Erin took off, flying to...who knows?