Chapter 27: Scott POV

I was starving.

I'd realized I hadn't eaten anything since the night before yesterday's battle. I had gone upstairs to change out of my blood-soaked clothes. I was slipping a shirt on when I realized Erin must've been starving as well. She had also been up all night.

I walked down the hall and knocked on her door. "Erin?" I got no answer, so I opened the door. She was laying with her back to me on her bed. "Erin, you awake?"

She mumbled something as an answer.

"I'm making food. What do you want?" I asked.

"I want you to stop acting like my dad!" she snapped, turning around. "I left Eastvale to actually be free! So far, I've fallen under the command of a tyrant demon and you! All I want is a brother, not a father!"

I blinked and took a step back in surprise at her outburst. "I'm just trying to keep you safe-" I started.

"You think I give a crap?" she asked and laid back down, facing the opposite direction. "Just go away. And can you at least try and warm it up!? Its freezing!" and she pulled her blanket over her head.

I stuttered for a moment before I stepped out of the room and shut the door. I CAN'T MAKE IT WARMER ERIN.

I headed down the stairs, (which hurt like hell by the way with all my bruises) to the kitchen. I dropped Erin's dragon part pouch in the fridge. I'm not sure if you're supposed to keep eyeballs refrigerated but it seemed like the right place to put it.

After I ate, I headed back to my room.

Erin's line about it being freezing hit me hard. I don't know why. I know its freezing. It just has never seemed to bother her before...no, it had actually. All the blankets and retreating to her room. I guess it had finally gotten to her. And I was upset she hadn't told me sooner.

I was sat cross-legged on my bed when Erin poked her head through the door. "Hi," she said timidly.

"What are you doing here?" I sighed and stood up. She opened the door all the way and stepped inside.

"I- I shouldn't have snapped at you." She said awkwardly, playing with her sleeve and staring at the ground.

"Uh huh..." I answered. Where was she going with this? "And?"

She frowned. "What else do you want me to say?" she asked, slightly offended.

My mouth opened slightly. "Maybe a sorry?" I said edgily.

Erin scrunched her nose. "Uh no." she said. "I don't care enough to say sorry."

"So, you don't care about me enough to say sorry?" I asked.

"No." she answered and turned on her heel, heading back towards the door. "And again, quit the act and warm it up!" she snapped.

This hit me where it hurt. Erin had been with me for weeks, months, and she still said I was faking it. I was at the last straw. "I'm trying Erin, I really am!" I cried, my nose started to burn, and I felt tears sting the corners of my eyes. "Why can't you see that? Why can't anyone see that!?" I pulled at my hair near my scalp in frustration as tears froze on my waterline.

"Scott, I didn't-" Erin started.

"You know what? If you've had enough just go." I said and pointing out the door. "If you can't deal with me anymore, just go."

"I'm not leaving you Scott." She said, almost sternly.

I blinked. I had expected her to storm out or start yelling at me even more like she did every other time. "What?"

"I know everyone else has, but I'm not leaving." The severe look on her face made me believe her. She walked over and steadied my trembling hands. "Now quit your complaining. I wasn't just collecting spell materials last night. The rulers are planning something."

"What?" I asked.

"I have no idea, but they're reinforcing their barricade around the city." She said and bit her lip. "I think they're planning a final charge."

"Already?" I asked.

"I think so."

"I'll notify our army." I said.

Erin nodded and turned around to leave.

"One more thing." I said and she turned around with a raised eyebrow. "Thank you."

Erin smirked. "Does this mean I get my spell stuff back?" she joked.

"No." I laughed. She shrugged.

"Worth a shot." She said as she closed the door behind her as she left.