Staying Calm

DOMINIC

"Dom, we can't just rush into that place. We still don't know who we are dealing with. So, how about we let Grace go there?" Dave suggested, a deep sigh escaping his lip after. "Of course, Grace won't be alone. But we will make this person think she is. And thankfully, there are tiny cameras we can attach to Grace's outfit. They will capture the culprit's visuals. From there, we can forward the details to the cops."

I was already feeling stuffed and could not bear to rack my brain anymore. So I nodded in agreement while I hoped that things wouldn't get immensely worse.

"Your idea will delight Grace," I said after many seconds.

A short smile formed on Dave's lips. "I certainly did not miss the look on her face when you stopped her from thinking about going." As he closed his laptop and proceeded to gather his things, he continued, "You really like her, don't you?" I responded with a little jerk of my eyebrows. "Good." his hands stopped reaching for his stuff and he faced me squarely. "Don't destroy what you have with her."

"Why are you saying that?"

"Well, considering that it has been a while since you properly dated anyone, the chances of you ruining things are very high."

"Just because I left the game for some while doesn't mean I have forgotten how things work. Anyway, enough talk. We need to get Ruby before this insane culprit does something that will cost them their life." My feet moved till I was facing the room. "Grace?" She was not there, all I met was a distraught Mark- who I adequately chose to ignore. "Where on earth is she?"

"She said she was going to the bathroom," Dave replied.

A little frown formed on my face as my feet rushed to the end of the staircase. My neck craned as though I would be able to catch a glimpse of the bathroom from that point. "Why on earth is she in the bathroom for so long? I should check up on her. I need to make sure she is fine."

Dave went back to pushing his equipment into the suitcase that brought them. "I'll continue packing."

A curt nod and I made to climb the stairs. But I was soon stopped by Dave's concerned tone.

"Uh... Dom. I don't see Grace's phone." I swiftly faced him. "I can't find it anywhere." His eyes slightly bulged. "You don't think she..."

My eyes also widened in realisation and my heart thumped harder. My caged fear from earlier threatened to burst out as I raced to her room. I barged in and pure silence met me.

"Grace?" I approached the bathroom and opened the door. "Crap." I shuddered in a way I never knew I could. "What the actual hell, Grace? Wh-"

My breathing started to thicken and I rushed out of the bathroom. Within seconds, I reached downstairs.

Dave peeled his sight off his laptop and asked, "She isn't here, right?"

"She is not." I sighed hard. "I can't believe she did this."

"It's going to be fine, Dom." Dave went back to scrolling a page on his laptop. "Since she took her phone, I should be able to track her and pinpoint her location."

My hands pressed into my waist as I inwardly tried to assure myself that it would be unwise to have a total breakdown at that point. I can have one once Ruby and Grace are safe and back home.

So, while I tried to control my unusual breathing, I asked, "We have to execute our first plan, don't we?"

"There is no other option. There's no time to waste time."