Choices

GRACE

If I were putting on glasses right now, I would push the glasses to the rim of my nose, then slightly duck my head to fully express my astonishment.

"There," Doctor Lumber threw his hands carelessly, "I said it. She is my daughter."

Oh. He is serious.

Wait, didn't he just say that Ruby is his daughter? And it doesn't look like he'll start laughing anytime soon.

Wow.

Wow.

I need to sit down.

As I moved toward one of the couches, Doctor Lumber did the same, Dominic's stone-cold eyes furiously trailing his movement.

Second after, Dominic asked, "What am I supposed to do with that statement?"

"Dominic, I know this is sudden, but it is the truth." Doctor Lumber looked up at Dominic whose jaws were now set in a manner that suggested that anger and impatience were building up in his soul. On the other hand, the Doctor looked sober. Really, really sober.

"I can't believe your claim until it is proven to be true." Dominic moved until his whole physique was facing the man. "But, how the hell is Ruby your daughter?"

"I... I am sorry Dominic. It was never meant to happen. Please." Tears began to smear the surface of his eyes and he looked away while his voice became a whisper and said, "Forgive me."

"Why don't you amuse us? While we wait for any lead on Ruby's whereabouts, you can tell us a little story." The smirk on Dominic's face was very different from the ones I am used to seeing. This one carried a deadly aura.

Dominic found his seat right beside me and even though he looked like he had a steel heart at that moment, I followed my instincts and wrapped my hand around his arm to send comfort to him. Dominic seemed to receive my small gesture as his head sloped a bit in my direction.

"Well..." Dave urged the rough-looking man who gulped as he prepared himself for the task ahead, his lashes blinking furiously.

I wonder what his story is going to be.

"I... I am really sorry Dominic. When I introduced you to Diane, I left out the fact that we used to date. A..." His voice cracked as he failed to continue.

"Go on, Mark." Dominic's calmness was threatening. Too threatening.

"I did not mean you harm, Dominic. But when Diane came onto me a few weeks after you both started dating, I just couldn't resist. I... Soon, it became an every-week affair." Doctor Lumber's hands drew into fists and his eyes remained glued to the tiles. He continued, "When she became pregnant, I became confused."

Well, at least they both became something.

"I was still struggling in my profession back then. I was not ready for a baby at all. It was then Diane suggested that we pretend the child is yours." The man finally looked up. "I am really sorry, Dominic. But I can't continue to live as though Ruby is not my daughter. The way I gave up on her continues to haunt me."

Great silence followed and we all sat still, waiting for Dominic to utter a word.

Seconds later, Dominic dissolved the contact between us and sat back, his gaze stabbing Doctor Lumber immensely. I would have loved to watch the other man squirm in reaction some more, but time was racing and Ruby is yet to be found.

So, I gently tugged Dominic's shirt and silently urged him to say something.

A small grunt left his lips and he said, "Trust me, she is not your daughter."