A Walk With Those That Love Her

GRACE

Stepping out of a helicopter into a beautiful field filled with different species of flowers is certainly something Grace from two, three months ago would have not pictured at all. When Dominic mentioned moving to a safe place, I pictured another penthouse with a nice pool to swim in.

But... The scene in front of me is more than that. It's as though someone breathed reality onto a very detailed painting of nature. The plants that surrounded us danced with the wind, and so did the length of my gown.

As I reached for Ruby's hand and pulled her closer to my side to block her ears from the loudness of the ascending helicopter, I took many seconds to enjoy the scene laid out in front of me. And as I did that, my soul felt relaxed, the same way I feel whenever I'm with Dominic.

Soon, we were walking out of the bare field we were standing on and our feet approached the straight path that welcomed us to the lushness of the land. As we walked, admirable scents tickled my sense of smell and a deep inhale was all it took to fully perceive the beauty that filled the air.

Ruby seemed to be enjoying the sight as well. Her eyes widened in admiration and we both reached for one of the flowers at the same time.

"Stop." But Dominic halted our intention.

We looked up at Dominic who was still maintaining the very serious expression he left the penthouse with. He took two steps forward and I questioned him with a quick glare.

Then, he said, "The people of this town don't like it when the flowers are touched. If you wish to touch any plant, there is a smaller field filled with samples. You can touch those."

"Oh." My mind failed to understand why such a rule would exist, but I am very aware that I have to respect the laid down rules. So, I adjusted my position, clutched Ruby's hand, and asked, "Are you going to tell us where we are now?"

We resumed our walk and I watched as the little luggage we brought swung in Dominic's grasp.

"I can't tell you where we are," he replied.

"I can always use Google Maps," I reminded him.

"I know. I don't want to take risks. You might decide to text one of your friends and that might not turn out fine." I resisted the urge to roll my eyeballs. He was still insinuating that the culprit could be someone from my side. But how can I text anyone when I don't have my phone with me?

"Anyway," Dominic continued, his voice lacking enthusiasm, "this is my hometown."

"What?" I did not expect that at all.

"Welcome to my hometown," Dominic still sounded a little unhappy. He sounded as though he was being forced to visit his hometown.

"Something tells me you don't want to be here," I commented.

"This is the only place that is safe for us."

I honestly had no idea how to react to his gloomy responses, so we all walked in silence until we reached the exit of the field. From that point, all we saw was the vastness of bare, sandy land. Thankfully, a rooftop waved from a distance. That was an indication that we wouldn't have to walk for too long.

But I still couldn't get rid of the fact that Dominic was unhappy. So, with Ruby silently walking at my pace, I briefly hastened my steps and whispered to Dominic, "Now that I think of it, there is really no need for all this. I wasn't attacked, all I got was a message."

Without turning or stopping his considerable strides, he replied, "Do we only take action when you are attacked?" Then, his head swung to face me. "The texts you have been receiving are enough to know that someone has been watching you. That person wants to hurt you."