You are special.

GRACE

'Grace.' I stirred when a voice reached me in my sleepy state. 'Grace.'

I felt a tap on my shoulder but I shrugged it off.

"Go away," I grudgingly replied to the small voice that was distracting my sleep from God knows where.

"Grace. It's me, Dominic." My shoulders felt another tap and my eyes snapped open without delay. Indeed, Dominic was by my side, his worried gaze piercing my worried, slumber-filled eyes.

I sat up, let out a loud yawn, and asked, "You are back already? Uhm... I thought your trip was for a week."

He reached for my hair and swept a strand away from my face. My heavy eyes followed his every movement as he stood straight.

"I hurried my plans and came back as soon as possible."

"Oh, you shouldn't have bothered. Ruby is fine now." I carefully got off the little bed and reached for the covered plate on the table that was not so far from Ruby's bed.

As my mouth began to munch on the cake that was earlier hidden from plain sight, my gaze fell on Dominic who kept his sight glued on me in a way that gradually made me conscious of the fact that I was possibly looking like shit.

It has been a day since Ruby's breakdown. And just as I feared, the whole thing had to do with her heartache. So, for the past few hours, I tended to her and forgot that I had to take care of myself as well.

"I came back for Ruby. And for you," Dominic responded to my statement. I nodded and my eyes flickered to the plate in my hand. By the time my focus returned to Dominic, his figure was overpowering mine, I could immensely feel the warmth he brought along.

"Grace." The next thing I knew, the plate was back on the table and my upper body was glued to his chest. "You cried. You cried for Ruby. No one has ever done that. Not me, not even her mother." His chin found a way to settle on my forehead. "I hurried my plans to check up on you. I wanted to make sure that you are fine. And going by what I'm seeing," he partially dissolved our hug to observe my face, "you don't look fine."

"I..." I didn't know what to say.

"Come, you need a good bath." He grabbed my hand and we quietly walked out of the room.

Once I took one last look at a peacefully sleeping Ruby, I closed her door.

"Dominic," I watched as his broad back swayed its way into my room, "how was your trip?"

"Leave the talking till later. You need to bathe first." The instant he closed the door behind me, his hands found the hem of my gown, they were ready to take the cloth off me.

"Dominic, what are you doing?" I frowned, my words stopping his hands.

The man who was crouching looked up at me and replied, "Helping you take your clothes off?"

"Why?" I took a step back. "I can do that myself."

Dominic got to his feet, he didn't appear to be taken aback by my refusal.

"Grace, I owe it to you to take care of you just as you have taken care of my daughter. So," he brought the back of his hand to caress my right cheek to my delight, "please allow me to take care of you. You truly deserve it." He punctuated his statement with his rare smile.

Feeling all bubbly inside, I bit my lip to avoid a huge smile from spilling out.

"Well, if that is what you think," I finally replied nonchalantly.