Moaning Mess

GRACE

"Good morning, Miss Sands."

I jumped, and more than half of the content in the glass cup I was holding fell onto the tile.

"Sir..."

Why on earth would he decide to sneak behind me and whisper a greeting into my ear?

My eyes followed the man as he walked past the couch and to my side.

"Why are you up so early?" he asked.

"I couldn't sleep." I eyed him. His interest in me was a little suspicious. "Why are you up so early?"

"Same."

As I gave slow nods, I looked at the orangery mess I made on the floor.

I am glad to say that drinking orange juice at two in the morning is something I enjoy. Another thing I enjoy at this peaceful hour is the silence, the darkness, and the view of the beautifully lighted city before me.

My prolonged stare at the spilled mess was enough to strip the ground. So, I got to my feet and announced my intention to get a mop.

Without a word, the man shifted his stance and gave me a chance to pass without having to crash into him.

Soon, I was back in the dimly lighted room with a mop. But I did not see Mr. Powers in sight, so I guessed that he went back to his room.

But as I got to cleaning the mess which had expanded its roots, a deep hum reached my ears.

My head didn't hesitate to whip towards the piano side.

The man never left the living room.

With the mop supporting my position, I watched as he closed his eyes and began to play a slow tune.

That slow tune became something he visibly enjoyed. And that music found a way to embrace him. And capture me.

As a lover of anything melodious, I smiled as the tune became more and more interesting. Before I knew it, I quietly dropped the mop and walked towards the piano to watch how his hands worked to produce such soft, orgasmic music.

The man was admirably good. His skillful way of summoning sounds from the instrument made me feel jealousy in the midst of the emotions inside me.

As though he sensed my excitement, his eyes snapped open and stared into mine. He stopped humming but continued playing. And since I was aware of what his gaze could do to me, I easily switched my attention to his hands.

But he soon hit the last key and I was compelled to face him once again.

"That was beautiful, sir." My statement came out as a whisper.

I was met with silence. I took that as a sign to find my way back to my room. And I was about to do that.

"Miss Sands... " I turned. "Do you play?"

"Oh no. Well, I used to when I was at the orphanage..." I paused when I realised that I just let out an important part of my life I did not like telling people about.

My eyes met his, and I hoped I wouldn't read pity in them.

He did not disappoint me. He failed to show any concern about my past. "Why don't you play anymore?"

"I lost interest." I walked closer and smiled. "Actually, I did it to satisfy my first boyfriend. For some reason, he hated the piano, so I stopped playing." I scrunched my lips before asking, "That was a very stupid thing to do right?"