19

Narrator
"What're you still doing in bed?" Michelle's mom questioned her as she entered her room without knocking.

"Please knock before you just come in" Michelle pleads "And I'm relaxing"

Lisa sighs, "You need to get dressed for dinner"

Michelle sits up in her bed, "We're going out?"

"No, your father decided to spring it up on me that he invited Cal Jacobs and his family over for dinner tonight" her mom rolls her eyes as she informs Michelle.

Michelle's mouth went completely dry when she heard "Cal Jacobs and his
family".

This meant two things. She'd have to face Nate and she'd have to pray that his family play along with the "stranger" act.

"Do I have to be there?"

"Yes it's a family dinner. They'll be here in the next hour or two so get dressed" Lisa tells her one last time before exiting the room.

Michelle waits for her mother to exit before falling back down onto her bed and looking up at the ceiling.

She was terrified for tonight.
——
Michelle looks in the mirror one last time before exiting the bathroom. Her braids were tied up in a ponytail and she put on a casual brown dress.

"Michelle, please come down" she hears her mother call from downstairs. Michelle sighs as she exits her room and slowly makes her way down. She was dreading this meeting.

"Oh here she is! This is our youngest daughter, Michelle" her father smiles as he watches her come down.

Michelle felt her knees nearly go weak when she made eye contact with Nate. She hated that he had this effect on her. It was weird going from loving someone to fearing them.

"Michelle, this is Mr. and Mrs. Jacobs, I'll be working with Mr.Jacobs on a real estate venture. Also these are his sons Nate and Aaron. Turns out, you two go to the same school" Mr.Harrison laughs.

Michelle gives a forced smile. "It's very nice to meet you all"

Nates parents seemed confused but played along.

"Wait aren't y-" Aaron starts but Nate nudges him to be quiet.

Michelle's eyebrows raised in surprise. It was clear Aaron was confused about the situation and was ready to expose everything by accident before Nate stopped him.

That gave Michelle some hope that he wouldn't out her to her parents tonight.

At the dinner table, Nate and Michelle were seated across from each other. As their parents laughed about old times and other random topics, Nate kept his eyes locked on her while she barely looked his way.

"So Nate" Michelle's father, Kenneth, calls out "I heard about your situation at the school with that girl lying on you and all"

Michelle dropped her fork and glared at her father as he spoke. Her mother along with Marsha Jacobs took notice of this.

Nate clears his throat, quickly glancing over at michelle before answering. "Yeah, it was pretty rough"