9

elyssahughes posted a story

"First game of the season." Megan smiles as her and Elyssa get settled in their seats. Elyssa looks at her best friend, confused. "What?" Megan laughs.
"Nothing. In the past you've been reluctant to go to games. Now you're all giddy." Elyssa explains her confusion.
"I'm just happy life is normal again. No more health scares or drama." Megan shrugs, sipping her drink.
"Alright." Elyssa laughs, turning her attention to the ice. She scans the sea of jerseys for Jack, spotting him after a minute. The girls watch the players as they warm up. Jack does his usual little 'show' for Elyssa before sending her a wink and skating off to finish his warm ups.
The first period goes well, the devils in the lead, 2-1. As Elyssa watches Jack at the beginning of the second period, she notices somethings off. She can't make out his expression too well, but he definitely seems annoyed. She silently wonders why, they're winning, why be angry?
Jack clenches his jaw as he gets ready for the puck to drop at the start of the second period.

"Hey Hughes! If your wife ever gets bored, send her my way!" A guy from the other team chrips. Jack let's out a heavy breath, trying to ignore it.
"Yeah," his teammate agrees with a chuckle, "she looks like she knows what shes doin. Probably been around." The other guy insinuates. It takes everything in Jack to ignore them and focus on the game.
Half the period goes by, neither team scoring again. A guy on the other team hits Luke into the boards, giving Jack a reason to drop his gloves. Nico and Miles join him, the fight growing quickly. It takes the refs some time to completely break it up before they send both Jack and the other guy to the penalty box.
Elyssa makes her way to the devils box to try and talk to Jack.
"Are you okay?" She shouts over the game. He ignores her. She taps on the glass, trying to get his attention. "Jack," she calls. He looks at her. "Are you alright?" She asks again.
"I'm fine." He snaps at her, his anger still bubbling over.
"Okay." Elyssa mumbles before going back to her seat.
"What was that all about?" Megan asks once Elyssa returns.
"I don't know. He's just pissed." Elyssa shakes her head, not knowing the root of Jacks anger.
Soon, the third period begins. Jack positions himself for the puck drop, ready for the period to start.
"Trouble in paradise Hughes?" The original guy chrips again.
"Ignore them Jack." Nico advises.
"Looks like she will be comin our way." His teammate jokes, "hey jack, give her my number for me, will ya?"
"No man, she probably already has our roster pulled up on her phone." The first guy teases. Jack couldn't take it anymore. He drops his stick and gloves and goes at the guy. Refs blow their whistle but Jack ignores them. He gives the fight everything he has. The other guy's helmet flys off his head and eventually a ref weaves his way between the players.
"Don't fucking talk about my wife!" Jack curses at the guy as he is getting escorted off the ice. As Jack walks through their bench to get to the locker room he notices Ruff not even look at him. Guilt sets in as Jack walks alone to the locker room. He realizes that he got himself ejected from the game because he couldn't control his anger. Alone in the locker room, Jack is free to scream and curse in anger.

"I'm gonna go find him." Elyssa tells Megan as she stands from her seat. Megan nods, agreeing that it's a good idea. Elyssa walks quickly back to the locker room, knocking before entering.
"Come in" she hears a faint voice. She enters the locker room to find Jack sitting at his stall with his head hung low. She crouches down in front of him, lifting his chin to look at her. She examines his face, a few bruises and small cuts already apparent.
"What happened?" Her voice was soft, easing jacks anger.
"They were chirpin, I let it get to me. I'm pissed I let it get to me." He sighs, obviously disappointed in himself.
"Well what we're they saying?" She asks.
"They were saying shit about you." He groans.
"Me? Why?" She wonders. She doesn't consider herself to be a major topic of interest.
"Because they knew it would get to me. And they were right." Jack scoffs, unhappy with his actions. Elyssa reaches up to brush his hair out of his face. It's a little longer than he usually keeps it, but she likes it that way. They both stay silent for a few minutes, just sitting in each other's company.
"Baby, it's done. What happened, happened. I'm just glad you're not hurt." She breaks the silence.
"I just don't want to deal with media." He admits.
"You'll be fine. When they ask, just say it won't happen again." She advises. Jack let's out a heavy sigh, signaling that he feels a little better now.
"I'm gonna go." Elyssa stands up, pressing a kiss to his lips. "I love you." She says as she's walking out of the locker room.
"I love you." He says before she's gone.

"Did he tell you what happened?" Megan asks once Elyssa returns to their seats.
"The other team was chirping to him about me and he said he let them get to him." Elyssa tells her as they both get their stuff together to leave. Like usual, the girls wait for Jack, Luke and Ty outside the locker room.
"Hey guys, good game." Elyssa compliments Ty and Luke as they exit. She looks behind them, not seeing Jack.
"He's with Lindy." Ty tells her.
"Do you want us to wait with you? We can all go get something to eat." Megan offers.
"No you guys can go. I doubt he's gonna want to do anything." Elyssa tells them. They all say their goodbyes before Elyssa waits for Jack.
"Hi Elyssa." Lindy Ruff smiles at her as he and Jack exit his office.
"Hi." Elyssa smiles kindly as she and Jack begin to leave. Jack stays silent as they drive back to their apartment.
Elyssa walks into the living room after taking a shower. Jack was sitting on the floor, leaning against the couch watching tv. His hair was still damp from his shower and he only had on sweatpants.
"You ready for bed? I'm tired." Elyssa sits on the couch behind Jack, her legs on either side of him.
"Yeah" he mumbles, closing his eyes and leaning his head back onto the couch. Elyssa lays her hands on his shoulders, rubbing them lightly. She does this for a few minutes, switch between rubbing and lightly scratching his skin every so often.
"Baby please let this shit go." Elyssa pleads.
"I knowww," Jack draws out, "I just gotta be better at practice tomorrow." Elyssa nods, agreeing with him. She gets up from the couch, ready to go to bed. Jack follows her lead. They both climb into bed, Jack holding her close to his body as they both fall asleep.