Chapter 15: No more sorrow.

Adonis

The night loomed menacingly dark as stars silently marched across the sky. My heart raced in my chest as we made our way through the winding road leading to my parent's estate. The intense glow of the moonlight pierced through the darkness like a searchlight, illuminating our path as we drove closer and closer towards the looming walls of the estate.

The guards opened the gates with a creak and allowed us passage into the courtyard. As I stepped out of the car, I sent a text to Coco, reassuring her I was on my way home soon. After that, an uneasy feeling crept up my spine as I texted Ava, telling her we will meet in the morning with Detective Ross and Commissioner Benson — who were unaware of Ava's treachery. When I leave my father's house, he too will know of her deceit.

When we reached the front door, I took a deep breath. This was it. I was about to face my father and find out what he had to say about the situation. I knew it wouldn't end well, but I had to try. I raised my hand and knocked on the door. After a few moments, a servant answered and ushered us in. We were led to a small parlor where my father was waiting. He sat in a chair in the corner, the light from the oil lamp casting a warm glow on his face. He looked exhausted, like he had a lot on his mind. This man was my father, and he had been through so much.

I stepped forward and spoke, my voice trembling slightly. "Father, we need to speak to you," I said, glancing back to make sure my brothers Theo and Niles were still behind me. The rest of our team waited outside in the SUV.

He looked up at me, his eyes tired. He gestured for us to sit, and I felt a wave of relief. He was at least willing to listen. I sat down with my hands clasped in my lap, anxiously awaiting whatever was coming. My brothers did the same, following suit.

Our father took a deep breath and surveyed us all before speaking. "What brings all three of you here so late tonight?"

"Father, it's about Ava," I said. "Earlier tonight we went on a mission to find Owen 'Bombman' and his crew — of my contacts gave me their location. We were trying to tie up some loose ends. I got shot during the mission, but luckily it just grazed my shoulder. Before I killed him, Owen mentioned the name 'Ava.'

"My father's face turned pale when he heard Ava's name. He remained silent for a few moments, lost in his own thoughts. Then he looked up at me and asked, "What did Owen say about Ava?"

He said nothing but her name, but I got the message — Ava had something to do with what we were dealing with over the past four weeks. My contact confirmed it after doing some investigating; he said Ava was involved in helping Owen and his team to plant the bomb.

My father shut his eyes and leaned back in his chair. "I always thought Ava was involved with all of this," he murmured. "But there was never any solid evidence. Like the other day, when she offered to assist us with Detective Ross."

We all sat there in silence, waiting for him to continue. "I will investigate this further," he finally said. "But you three need to stay out of it. This is too dangerous for you to get involved."

My exasperation was palpable as I shot back, "But Father, I texted Ava and scheduled the meeting with the commissioner and Detective Ross early tomorrow morning. We can't just sit here idly and wait for something to happen."

My father's eyes narrowed at my outburst. "I said you stay out of it," he repeated, his voice firm. "This is not a game, Adonis. Ava is dangerous, and you three are in no condition to take her on."

I clenched my fists, my mouth a tight line. "But Father," I began, frustration coloring my words. "We have seen more complex missions than this, and we can handle it. We don't have time to sit around and wait for shit to happen. This ends now." I struck the table with my fist to emphasize my point. "When you made me the head underboss, I took that job seriously. This mission is no different.