Chapter 9: BETRAYAL

Coco

Now that Rashon is gone, I'm not sure how to feel. He was a cruel man and he abused me beyond belief. Because of his presence in my life, I could not speak with my family. I am now a liberated and wealthy woman. Rashon left everything he had to me in his will, never changing it. How did Rashon figure out where I was staying? I never shared this information with anybody except for my closest friends. My mind is spinning with questions, but I thank God that Adonis came for me when he did.

We had to get away from the city, that much was certain. Adonis suggested the Hamptons and I agreed, though I was anxious about leaving. Something ominously lingered in the air, like a brewing storm headed our way. It felt too dangerous to stay, yet somehow leaving created its own set of worries.

I'm captivated by Adonis, and I don't want to be away from him. I can't tell if he has the same feelings for me as I have for him. I took some time for myself and went to the beach. I sat down on the white sand and watched the waves crash against the shore. I closed my eyes and breathed in the salty air. As I opened my eyes, I saw Adonis walking towards me with a smile on his face.

"Hey," he said as he sat down next to me. "How are you feeling?"

"I don't know," I replied. "I feel so many emotions right now."

"I understand," he said, putting his arm around me. "But I want you to know that I'm here for you. Whatever you need, I'll be here."

I leaned into him and felt his warmth surround me. At that moment, I knew I loved him. I turned to him and hesitated for a moment before leaning in to kiss him. He responded eagerly and we kissed passionately for what felt like hours.

As we pulled away, he looked into my eyes and said, "I love you, Coco. I have loved you since the moment I laid eyes on you."

My heart swelled with happiness and I knew I had found my soulmate. Adonis and I spent the rest of the day walking along the beach, holding hands and talking about our future together. That night, we made love under the stars and it was the most passionate experience of my life. I felt like I was finally complete and all the pain and suffering that I had endured in the past was worth it for this moment. The next morning, Adonis and I woke up tangled up in each other's arms. I looked at him and smiled, feeling completely content.

"What do you want to do today?" he asked me.

"Let's start anew together," I suggested. "I now have funds, thanks to Rashon. If you will accept me, I want to sell the house he and I had and put the money in the bank for our kids. Adonis, you are already wealthy, but the money that Rashon gave you is not from an honorable source. Maybe I can use it to do something meaningful.

Adonis looked at her with admiration, "You're incredible, Coco. I don't deserve you."

"Don't say that," I replied. "We deserve each other, and we deserve to start fresh. Let's make a life together and leave all the pain behind."

Adonis took my hand and kissed it tenderly. "I can't wait to start our new life together, Coco. Let's make every moment count and cherish each other always."

****

James Russel Warehouse

At the warehouse, James was accompanied by his team and representatives from the pharmaceutical company, Thomas Hall and Colin Smith. James and his team huddled around a table, poring over maps of New York, plotting their next move in distributing the new drug, ACTADA. With Rashon Elliott dead to provide competition for the market, James knew it would be easier than ever to spread the drug like wildfire throughout the streets of New York. He clenched his fists in anticipation of the imminent success of the project.