Chapter 11: Meet Death

As they stepped into what they had termed the warehouse of death, a place where hope came to die—where life came in, but death remained. Adonis took his place behind the desk, his two brothers standing on either side. The atmosphere in the warehouse was thick with dread, the smell of death and decay hanging in the air.

Even though there was a chill in the air, Adonis sat with an unreadable expression in his tall leather chair. His brothers' eyes were fixed on the door, ready to hear what James Russel had to say. The Petrakis family weren't leaving until he told them all the truth. The two men, Tassos and Dion, dragged James in, his chains clinking against the hard floor. The accused stumbled in, his body shaking with exhaustion. He was a sorry sight, his clothing tattered and disheveled, his face pale and gaunt. Even in his weakened state, there was still a spark of fire in his eyes, an ever-present defiance that hadn't been extinguished.

Adonis felt the surrounding atmosphere vibrate with fear as James stood before him. His reputation had spread far and wide, and it only made his foes tremble in terror when they realized who was coming for them. He bore into James with his gaze, trying to decipher what secrets were hidden beneath his exterior, but all Adonis could see was fear — and courage, too.

Even though he knew James was one of the toughest dealers on the block, Adonis shattered any remaining hope he had. The Soloist Crew were no more; the Petrakis family had destroyed them, along with the Bronze Brotherhood. Now the Petrakis family were ready to take over both gangs' territories, and nobody could stand up against them.

The brothers stood in stunned silence as they observed the gruesome sight before them. Niles and Theo were rigid as stone, their faces a mask of unreadable concentration as they watched Adonis walked around the desk. He stopped behind James' chair and stared down at him menacingly. Reaching into his pocket, he took out a cigar and lit it, choking James with the acrid smoke, an omen of what was to come. His men had already beaten James severely, desperate for information.

But James remained stubbornly silent, refusing to betray his loyal comrades. Adonis had him right where he wanted him; in his grasp, with nowhere to run. The two men locked gazes for a moment, the tension between them thick and palpable.

Adonis took a long drag on his cigar before exhaling slowly. "You know the game is up, James," he said calmly, his voice low and ominous.

James gave him a look that was both defiant and resigned. "I know I'm done for," he said, his voice quivering slightly. "But I ain't a rat. I won't betray my people."

Adonis grinned coldly, "Tell us, James Russel, why should we show you mercy?"

James gritted his teeth and swallowed hard. He knew there was no way out of this. Adonis could see the defeat in his eyes, but he also saw a flicker of something else, something that he couldn't quite put his finger on.

"I believe I know the answer to the question you seek," James spoke in a low voice.

Adonis gave an astonished look. "What do you suppose I am looking for?"

"The whereabouts of your beloved woman? She was so lovely," James answered, his laugh echoing in an annoying manner.

A sly smile spread across Adonis' face as he processed this new information. He was eager to find out the whereabouts of his lady love as soon as possible. "You have my attention, James.

Tell me everything you know," Adonis said, his eyes locked onto James' with an intense stare.

James took a shuddering breath as he grew hoarse with emotion. His voice dropped to a raspy whisper as he reluctantly confessed, "I didn't take her. Someone she knows and trusts did. My men only helped, but this was their plan, not mine." He gritted his teeth in silent rage, feeling like his soul had been dragged through the mud.