Chapter 11

"You sure it glowed again?" I ask since it's been hours and there has been no sign of any other monster showing up

Ric grabs a stake and puts it on his crossbow before pointing it at the wall. "I sleep with the damn thing under my pillow... It's hard to miss it, Miracle."

"What do you think it's gonna be this time? Cyclops? Slender Man? Santa?" My sister asks and Ric chuckles at her suggestions.

"Well, given our luck, I think it's safe to rule out Ol' Saint Nick." Ric says since it's one of his favourite holidays and he makes very clear when our families celebrate it together.

Hope furrows her eyebrows looking at me. "I don't know. I mean, Santa Claus is kind of terrifying when you think about it. Breaks into your home. He sees you when you're sleeping. Not to mention, judge-y."

"I agree." I state.

"I need you two to focus!" Ric exclaims, walking around his desk and sitting down in front of us.

Hope sighs, crossing her legs on the chair with a distressed look on her face. "Look, I'm trying. I just wish that Satan's nightlight would give us some rest."

"Yeah. And I wish that knife was never in our school to begin with, but it's not like we can change that now." Ric adds with a frustrated expression.

"I wish it would rain cheeseburgers for a day." I mutter, making both of them give me a weird look.

Who's judging who now, sister?

"All we can do is make sure we're not blindsided by another monster waltzing through our doors." Ric continues and right on cue the doors open to reveal the twins have arrived.

"Too late." Hope comments when we see the twins as Ric mumbles. "Oh, God."

"Jo. Liz!" I yell, running over to Liz first since I've missed my girl friend. I give her a tight hug and she doesn't hesitate to hug me back. When we pull away I shoot Jo a big smile before giving her a hug as well. Jo and I are friends but I'm not as close to her as I am with Lizzie.

"Mimi, it's good to see you but..." Liz trails off, adverting her a glare towards her dad. "Mom was able to get us direct into Dulles. Then faxed, texted and e-mailed you our revised itinerary."

Ric let's out a deep sigh. "I am so sorry. It's-it's chaos around here."

Liz opens her mouth to speak but Jo beats her to it. "It's okay, Dad. We know that you're overwhelmed. But Europe was amazing. And seeing Mom was really good." She grins brightly.

Liz glares at her dad again, adding the information to what Jo just left out. "Jo's covered the bright side. Far less sunny was waiting for you in the chilly dark of morning at the terminal and you not showing up."

"In his defense, we've been in crisis mode around here." I speak but it only makes her shoot me a dagger with her eyes, causing me to hold my hands up in a defensive manner.