Chapter 8

I'm no stranger to death, but that doesn't mean I want to talk about it

I'm no stranger to death, but that doesn't mean I want to talk about it. Once a year for Remembrance Day, we're asked to write letters to our lost loved ones. We write our names, fold them and scatter them through the cemetery. I don't usually write them... I simply sit down in a quiet room and say what I have to say even if they can't reply.

In my life, I lost three people that I knew and cared about; my mom, Hayley; my uncle, Elijah and Gradma Mary. There is my uncle Stefan too, but I was really young when he died, meaning I don't really remember meeting him. Although, this school is in his memory.

All four of them died heroes and that's why I don't like being the hero. I'm scared to die so young when there's so much I want to do.

Raf and I walk down the corridor since he insisted on walking me to my room. I was waiting for him to finish writing his letter, while I went and got a midnight snack and now we're just walking side by side through the busy corridors of the school. Even though it's pretty late, most of the students are still awake writing their letters.

"Cassie?" Raf mumbles and I snap my head to look at the girl in front of us.

"Raf." She looks shocked to see him.

"Isn't that your...?" I trail off.

"My girlfriend." He states before running over to her and immediately engulfing her into a tight hug, although she looks really confused at what is going on.

As the two of them are hugging each other, a little girl catches my eyes and I look at her, having the feeling that I've seen her face somewhere before but I don't quite know where.

"Lili." A voice breathes out from behind me, and when I look over my shoulder, I see Niox with a shocked expression on his face. "Lili. Lili. You're not here. You're not."

"Niox, are we there yet?" The girl asks with the cutest and softest voice I have ever heard.

Niox doesn't answer, he simply walks over to her slowly and when he's standing right in front of her, he rapidly kneels down and hugs her like there's no tomorrow.

This must be the monster we have in our basement.

And... Emotional pain lasts longer than physical pain.

⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️

"Dr. Saltzman." Hope calls out as we decided to warn him about the dead rising. To be honest, I was going to come down to the basement alone but she seemed to have the same idea as I did.

So here we are...

"Oh, there you two are, lovely girls. I was wondering if you'd come visit me." The necromancy smirks, eyeing us individually as he speaks each word. "How's your friend, the one I saw you with earlier, trying to steal an illicit peek at me?" He questions Hope before looking back at me. "And your ex-boyfriend?"