Lovers

"Remember, finals are this Friday. Class dismissed."

The auburn-haired girl slammed her calc book shut with a sigh of relief. Hastily she gathered her books together and made her way out of the classroom and down the hall.

Other college students were exciting their rooms, chattering as they clustered together in the hall.

"Hey Maia!" One waved.

"Enjoying school bookworm?"

Eighteen-year-old Maia Langston smiled a little and returned the greetings. Transitioning to college had not been as hard as she thought it would be. She got along well with her roommate and had made many friends among her freshman class.

"Hey Maia, ready for finals?"

The teenager turned to face the schoolgirl who had called out to her. "You bet," she grinned. "I've been studying every night."

The blond haired college student smiled, "You always seemed to be a bookworm," She tilted her head so that her straight ponytail fell alongside her shoulder. "Do you have any plans for the summer?"

Maia shrugged. "I'm not sure yet Cindy," With all the preparation for the tests she had not given the upcoming summer much thought. Nor had she thought of her nineteenth birthday which was coming up at the end of the month of May in just a few weeks. She was thoughtful for a few moments. "I think I'll accept the internship."

"The one KSI's TechCore offered? Fun!" Cindy grinned, playing with her long blond ponytail. "Just make sure you take some time over the summer to relax."

"Haha," Maia rolled her eyes. "I will," With a wave goodbye, she turned and began making her way down the hall again.

She had not been kidding when she mentioned she was thinking about the internship. KSI, T one of New York's leading technology companies, had offered her an internship over the summer through its TechCore program. Ever since they gave her the offer in late spring, Maia's thoughts had dwelled on the matter.

Before she accepted the offer she wanted to talk with some close friends.

Entering her dorm room a few minutes later, Maia sat down at the desk that lay at the foot of her bed. She pulled her laptop open and clicked on a tab on the taskbar.

There was a ringing sound and then an image of a brown-haired boy pulled up on screen. He looked to be around her age and had high cheekbones as well as emerald green eyes. "Hey Maia," he grinned brightly, white teeth flashing.

"Hi Jacob," she found herself automatically smiling back. How long has it been? They had been friends forever but only officially dating since late last summer after....after that eventful night.

"How's my Dad?" She just had to know.

"Well, his mechanic shop has taken off quite well," leaning back in his chair, Jacob laughed. "He's busy as ever-though I can tell he likes it. He says it keeps him focusing on something other than Melissa."

Melissa, my mother. Maia thought back for a moment on her mother who had died in a race car accident when she was only five. She had discovered that the whole accident had been set up by Melissa's racing sponsor who had recently gone out of business.

"How are things in the Big Apple?" As if nothing of her thoughts lingering on sorrowful things, Jacob changed the subject.

"I'm not in New York City, silly," With a smile, Maia was then thoughtful, "Well the weather has been nice, and midterms are this Friday," she paused, wondering how she should break this to him. "Jacob, I'm not going to be back this summer."

The boy's eyes widened, and he seemed startled. "What, what do you mean?"

"I..." Maia bit her lip, "I have accepted an internship here in the city with Kinetic Solutions Incorporated."

Jacob just stared at her and then he shook his head. "I can't believe it Maia; you're choosing a stupid company over family-over me?"

"No!" Her voice raised, Maia exclaimed. She sighed. This is not going well! In a calmer voice, she continued more softly. "Jacob, the internship will help to pay for my college expenses and it's a big opportunity. I-"

"What about racing?" His eyes flashing, Jacob interrupted. "I thought you wanted to become a racer like your mother? Not some workers in an office."

"Jacob!" A pang hit her in the heart with his sharp words. "I love racing and I thought you of all people should know that!" her voice rose to a high pitch. "But I guess you're not who I thought you were."

Now it was Jacob's turn to look incredulous as he stared back at her. "Maia, I didn't mean that I-"

"Jacob, you don't get to control my life," Vexed, Maia snapped. "I was telling you about the internship as I thought you would be happy for me. I guess I was wrong," she crossed her arms. "It looks like I was wrong about many things, including you."

"Maia..." Jacob's eyes were wide. "Wh-"

The young woman reached forward and slammed the computer screen down. Only then did she actually break into tears.