𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏: 𝐃𝐄𝐀𝐓𝐇 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐇𝐈𝐒 𝐅𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐍𝐃𝐒

Start from the beginning

She took the paper and unraveled it with shaky hands.

To my dearest daughter,

Essence, I hope this letter finds you well. My apologies for writing to you at such an unacceptable time. I must apologize for this is not the usual type of letter I have written to you before. However, as your father, I feel I must inform you. It is with great regret I must inform you that—

Her breath hitched after she read it. She blinked a couple of times before skimming to the end of the letter.

With Love,
Your father.

She turned to Jeremiah, "Percy, Annabeth, and Grover...they're fine. It's... Charles Beckendorf." She put the paper down on her dresser and looked Jeremiah in the eyes. She ran a hand over her face.

"Charles Beckendorf is dead."

...

TWO DAYS LATER, ERIS SHOVED HER LAST SUITCASE IN THE TRUNK OF JULES-ALBERT'S LIMOUSINE.

She wiped the sweat off her eyebrow, "I'll be back soon," she promised.

Katherine and Lena exchanged a look, "We know, baby," Lena said. She stoked Eris's hair, "We just want you to be careful today. Things have been really good lately."

Lena was right. No monster attacks happened. Eris was getting back into dancing and getting ready to into her junior year of high school. Soon she'll be going to college too.

"I'm just staying until his funeral," Eris said, "No trouble, no mess. Just the funeral and then I'm coming straight back. I promise."

They looked unsure but if they had doubts they said nothing.

Eris looked at Nico. He grew taller in the past year but Eris was still taller, not that she minded. She liked her height now. In fact, she didn't mind if she grew taller. The only annoying thing about being tall was people kept asking her if she played basketball.

Nico was tan and his curly hair was longer and shaggy but shiny thanks to using Eris's hair products. He wore dark jeans and a black band shirt. He grew to like black eyeliner and Eris nor her moms' mind.

"I'll be back before your first day of school," she told him. She rubbed his head and he batted her hands away.

"If the war doesn't start by then?" Nico muttered.

"Nico," Eris said warningly. "Quit it."

She spared a glance at her moms who seemed pale and uncomfortable. Though both accepted Eris for being a half-blood they weren't the happiest every time they heard about the war coming. Eris couldn't blame them. Who would be okay with their child being a part of a weird prophecy about the world ending?

Nico, however, had been bringing up for months about how he wanted to help the camp but Eris was having none of it. The Gods go themselves into this mess and they could get themselves out of it. Eris would be damned if her twelve-year-old brother would be out there fighting a titan. Eris would gladly die before agreeing to let Nico fight.

"But—"

"I'm serious," Eris said firmly.

Nico frowned and crossed his arms. Great.

Eris sighed, "I love you, okay?" She squeezed him and kissed his forehead. "Be careful."

After a while, he hugged her back, "I will be if you are."

Eris winked, "I'm always careful."

She hugged Lena and Katherine goodbye and patted Salem's head before jumping in the backseat of the car. Jules-Albert drove away.