𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟔: 𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐒 (𝐀𝐋𝐌𝐎𝐒𝐓) 𝐁𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐊𝐒 𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐁𝐀𝐂𝐊

CHAPTER 6: ERIS (ALMOST) BREAKS HER BACK

"I hate how you make me feel..."

THE LEFT TUNNEL WAS A DEAD END. After sprinting for at least a hundred yards, they ran headfirst into a boulder that blocked their path. Behind them, they could hear the dangerous sounds of heavy footsteps. Something - most likely a monster- wasn't far from them.

"Tyson," Percy said, "can you—"

"Yes!" Tyson slammed his shoulder against the rock so hard the whole tunnel shook. Dust trickled from the stone ceiling.

"Hurry!" Grover said. "Don't bring the roof down, but hurry!"

The boulder finally gave way with a horrible grinding noise. Tyson pushed it into a small room and they dashed through behind it.

"Shut it!" Eris yelled.

They moved to the other side of the boulder and pushed it in the way of the entrance. The monster behind swore in frustration as they heaved the rock back into place and sealed the corridor.

    "We trapped it," Percy panted.

    "Or trapped ourselves," Grover said.

    Eris glanced behind. They were in a twenty-foot-square cement room and the opposite wall was covered with metal bars.

    "Shit," she muttered, yanking lightly on her hair. They had tunneled straight into a cell.

    "What the hell?" Annabeth tugged on the bars. They didn't budge. Through the bars , they could see rows of cells in a ring around a dark courtyard—at least three stories of metal doors and metal catwalks.

    "A prison," Percy said. "Maybe Tyson can break—"

    "Shh," said Grover. "Listen."

    Eris glanced around and that's when she heard it. Harsh sobbing echoed through out the building. Another voice came muttering something she couldn't understand.

   "What is that?" She whispered, glancing around cautiously.

    Tyson's eye widened. "Can't be."

   "What?" Percy asked.

   He grabbed two bars on our cell door and bent them wide enough for even a Cyclops to slip through.

    "Wait!" Grover called.

    But Tyson wasn't about to wait. They ran after him. The prison was dark, only a few dim fluorescent lights flickering above.

   "I know this place," Annabeth told them. "This is Alcatraz."

    "You mean that island is near San Francisco?" Percy asked.