Chapter 72: Trouble on the Homefront (Part 2)

Start from the beginning

"Viserys," Aeonar turned to his son, "henujagon īlva (leave us)."

Alicent silently motioned for him to do the same.

Viserys instinctively felt he was out of his league; he acquiesced to his parents' request and began to depart. But before he left, he cast one final glance at his aunt. "I wish you all the best. I've done everything within my power. The rest is up to you now," he disclosed in a whispering tone.

Following the departure of her nephew, Rhaenyra found herself in the company of only four other individuals within the room, including herself.

Aeonar kept his eyes locked on his sister. "And here she is. The prodigal sister has returned to the flock," he uttered coolly.

"It is good to see you again after so many years, Princess Rhaenyra," Alicent politely greeted. "And to you as well, Prince Daemon. It has been so long since we were granted the joy of your presence."

Rhaenyra silenced Daemon before he could say anything that might aggravate their already delicate situation. After all, they had been banished from the capital six years prior. The Realm's Delight knew she had to be tactful and persuade her brother to listen to her. She believed this approach would be subtle yet effective, as she aimed to find a diplomatic solution to their predicament. "It's been a while, Alicent. You look great; marriage has been very kind to you," she complimented with a warm smile. Then, turning to Aeonar, she couldn't help but choose her words carefully. "My dear brother, it feels like ages since we last spoke; how I longed to see you again after so much time apart. I understand you've had more pressing business to care for, and I don't blame you for keeping the kingdoms together. Father made the right decision to name you as his Hand, and it's a well-deserved position. It's essential to learn the art of ruling a kingdom if one is to shoulder the weight of responsibility in the future."

Flattery will get you nowhere, Rhaenyra. I can see right through you.

"My husband does not rule, Rhaenyra," Alicent shook her head. "He's merely doing everything within his power as the king's heir to maintain the realm's stability." She turned to Aeonar. "Come now, my love. Please do Rhaenyra the courtesy of welcoming her, your dear sister who has traveled far to see you. It would be a kind and courteous gesture."

"Indeed, she has come a long way," Aeonar replied calmly, laying his quill aside. "Although," he rose from his seat, "I find the timing of this whole affair to be rather fortuitous that my flesh and blood would grace me with her presence only when it's... convenient, wouldn't you say? Hmm?" He turned to Rhaenyra. "But enough about that. Call it what you will. Now, I have seven kingdoms to look after and precious little time to waste on social calls. So tell me what you want, Rhaenyra," he pressed in a flat cold dead tone. Though, deep down, he already knew the answer.

Rhaenyra spoke determinedly. "There's trouble with my son's claim to Driftmark. The agreement between my father and Lord Corlys was explicit. The Driftwood Throne would pass through Ser Laenor to his sons. Jace is my oldest son and the rightful heir to the throne after his grandfather. But now another is challenging his legitimacy. This is more than just an insult; it's treasonous to try and steal his birthright from under him." She took a deep breath before continuing. "My Lord Hand, I understand how my union with Daemon looks. I know it may have upset you, but I want to assure you that my intentions have always been to support you. Since I disgraced myself with my deplorable actions on Dragonstone sixteen years ago, I chose to re-dedicate myself to our family's survival. We both know that tensions between the Blacks and the Caltrops won't be easing up anytime soon. Even Daemon and I understand that you can't handle them alone. We're family, let us help you." Rhaenyra looked up at her brother, hoping he would see her words' sincerity. She knew that they needed to stand together if they were going to overcome the challenges that lay ahead.