01 ; number one

⋆*

⋆*.⋆♡

𝗻𝘂𝗺𝗯𝗲𝗿 𝗼𝗻𝗲

slamming her head on her desk, covered in scribbled out pages and pens scattered across the tables the desks surrounding her was empty and the windows were wide open. the curtains flowing and swaying as the wind grases the soft silk material. the sun was casting over her face warmly. the digital clock hanging on the wall read 4:02 pm. seoyeon had passed out due to the small amount of sleep she was able to slip in last night. she had stayed up studying, focusing on her mathematics test coming some time this week, that she had missed out on eight hours of her precious beauty sleep. 

next to her was yang jungwon, her friend, classmate and most importantly her ULTIMATE rival. jungwon is in the same year level as her and was concidentally in most of her classes. he was a part of the school's basketball team and in the student council as the vice president. he was studying for both the chemistry and maths tests coming up. standing up from his desk every 20 minutes to take a break and gaze out the window onto the empty basketball courts. despite, staying up and facetiming with seoyeon, he seemed to be awake and more composed than her.

seoyeon and jungwon were the top students in their entire high school. they were viewed as the perfect duo. always scoring above 90s. of course, these perfect scores placed serious expectations upon the two. their whole school was waiting for a slight error, mistake, miscalculation that would eventually lead to their downfall. many envied them for being academically gifted. although they had innate talent, they also worked extremely hard to get those scores. many were too blinded by jealousy to see that.

however, it was quite the opposite, in their friends' eyes. the teasing and pity fighting between the two is unstoppable, their two groups of friends don't even attempt to stop them anymore. the sly remarks, the teasing and ruffling of each others' hair, the sudden insults being thrown at each other. nevertheless, the comfort and support they provide for one another is another story. being the top students of the school and having everyone's eyes on you is extremely frightening and draining. having each other there for support and reassurance has helped them a lot. the bond they had created seemed to be unbreakable.

how did seoyeon and jungwon meet? because of their studious and hardworking personas they need to hold, they often bumped into each other at the local and school library. they never talked to each other though, only a few small interactions, asking the other if they can sit in the empty chair or borrow some books.

they were introduced to one another last year through park sunghoon and huh yunjin. park sunghoon was one of jungwon's friends who was a figure skater and a player of the school's basketball team. he was well-known for his good looks and his figure skating. huh yunjin was seoyeon's friend who was an extremely friendly and funny person to be around. she had connections with almost every student in the school. no one could hate yunjin, her bright and easy-going personality makes her one of the most likeable girls in school.

at first, seoyeon and jungwon were extremely awkward with each other, particularly seoyeon. she was an introvert and incredibly shy to strangers, it takes her a while to open up with others. she is reserved and is typically quiet. with yunjin, it took her 4 weeks to become closer with her and open up. but with jungwon, it only took her only a week to openly talk to him. seoyeon is still not sure what made him so easy to talk to. only god knows.

a soft voice interrupts the comfortable silence, "hey, kang seoyeon". jungwon hesitantly pats her shoulder.

"a few more minutes.. please..?" seoyeon grumpily mumbles in her sleep. 

jungwon sighs deeply, slowly closing his eyes. "sorry kang, but we need to go home" he explained. 

jungwon glances at the clock again, "it's already 5:30 pm". he starts to grab seoyeon's papers and pens and pack it into her bag.

seoyeon groans out of exhaustion, rubbing her eyes. she staggers and stands up, continuing to pack up her stuff. they both head out of the classroom, walking towards the school entrance. 

"just to give you a heads up, i'm going to rank the highest on the tests tomorrow" jungwon smirks while nudging the girl with his elbow, slightly pushing her off the pathway. 

seoyeon scoffs, "no way! i will rank the highest. just you wait" 

"it didn't seem like it earlier in the classroom" jungwon retorted, leading to his head being smacked. jungwon swiftly lifts his head up to see the girl running away from him. 

"KANG SEOYEON!!" he chases after her, trying to catch up with the playful girl. the sound of giggles and laughter trailing behind the two students.

the two reach the school entrance. "hope you fail, won!" seoyeon sticks out her tongue at him and waves goodbye to the boy, entering her mother's car.

"you're the one who is really going to fail, seoyeon" rolling his eyes while waving back, walking in the direction of his house. he watches seoyeon in the car driving away with a subtle smile on his face. 

⋆*.⋆♡

note ₍ᐢ

note ₍ᐢ. .ᐢ₎ HEY GUYS !!! how was the first chapter? i hope you guys enjoyed it, i haven't written a lot of stories before so my writing may be a little bad LOL anyways i am rlly excited to share this story.. it may be a lil cliche but. THANK U FOR READING THE FIRST CHAPTER OF MINE <3 please comment n vote :D