Chapter 9: Cool down a bit

♡ ♡ ♡

Work the next day is weird, in that it's not really. It makes Cameron understand what Milo means by lines.

He sees Milo in the office briefly, and Milo acts like he would've two weeks ago. A quick glance and a wave, then back to what he was doing.

They chat at lunch a bit but it's mostly for them to complain about that one coworker again.

Cameron gets a text when he's home later.

Milo: thank you, baby. you did a good job day with the lines. ill buy you a drink tomorrow, okay?

Cameron: is there...do you not have plans for tonight?

Milo: plan for tonight is to cool down a bit. im here if you need me or if you have any questions

So Cameron makes dinner, watches a movie, and gets in bed early. But when he closes his eyes, he feels Milo's hands on his back, on his face.

He gets in the shower and turns the water on hot.

♡ ♡ ♡

"No pet names here," Milo says as Cameron sits in their usual booth Tuesday night.

Cameron nods slowly. "Okay. We usually use Tuesdays to catch up. I don't think you missed much."

Milo snorts, "Well, what did you do last night? You didn't text me back."

Cameron's cheeks go pink, betraying him.

"Oh." Milo looks at his drink. "Well, I should've guessed that."

Cameron looks at him quizzically.

Milo shrugs. "It's not like I haven't."

"You–" Cameron doesn't want to ask.

Milo shrugs. "My contracts usually include orgasms."

"Is this...okay to talk about?"

"Would I not usually talk about this?"

"Fair."

"You should know," Milo pivots, "you look unbothered. Moisturized. Happy. In your lane. Focused. Flourishing." He's smirking by the time he's done.

Cameron kicks him under the table. "Yeah, I actually had a skincare routine this weekend."

"Oh, interesting." Milo pretends to ponder. "You should tell me what products you use."

Cameron scoffs, "You're insufferable."

"Your skin looks incredible, though. Glowing. One face mask and you're a changed man." Milo's eyes flit to Cameron's hair, but he doesn't say anything.

Cameron fluffs his own hair. "Still soft."

"Looks it." Milo sips his drink.

"Are you not gonna–"

"Lines," Milo says quickly, and then, "I'm gonna meet up with Nathan and his boyfriend this weekend."

Trying to place the name, Cameron's brows pull together. "Who's Nathan?"

Milo finishes sipping his drink, "Mm! I never said his name during the contract, a thing for me. My last partner."

"Oh. This weekend?"

Milo's eyes harden, but he doesn't want to talk about their contract right now. He knows Cameron is surprised that Milo has plans the day after their contract ends. That's why he made the plans. "We're having brunch! Actually, important distinction. Nathan's boyfriend is a cook. He is making us brunch. I think I'm going to bring mimosas."

"A hardship. Mixing orange juice and champagne."

"Don't know how I'll manage it," Milo agrees. He can tell Cameron's struggling a bit to not bring up the contract. It's something Milo struggles with too, but he thinks it's important for them to have this break so he works at it.

♡ ♡ ♡

Cameron lies in bed after that awkward yet arguably normal conversation.

Milo: phone call at 8pm tomorrow?

Cameron: yes

Milo: sleep well baby

Cameron: you too~

♡ ♡ ♡