01. Sermon

I almost yawned, the man sitting across  me who was my fake boyfriend or at least I was the only one who thought so was declaring his undying love for me.
         I've heard this sermon so many times that I memorized each word and I knew what he was going to say next.

It was disgusting!

I sipped on my drink to try to suppress the urge to throw up on his face.

"Elizabeth,I don't know what I'll do without you in my life ." He said.

Well you could pick up dirt on the streets and feed homeless people.
I knew where this was heading and I braced myself for the most interesting part.

He cleared his throat,he looked like he had stars in his eyes but darling I have seen more stars in the sky than in those eyes!

He continued. " You've made my life better and without you I would fall apart ". And then he reached for his suit pocket.

Oohh boy !! ...This was it !

I looked around the restaurant,it was pretty crowded and people were already peeking at us.

The perfect setting,this was going to be epic!

He bent on one knee and brought out a small blue box with a white ribbon wrapped around it . I did my best to look surprised,the people in the restaurant already brought out their phones to record.

"Will you be my wife ?" He then opened the box and stretched it towards me .

I was on the verge of laughing,I had to bite on my lips to suppress the laughter.
The people where already clapping and screaming 'say yes!' . I didn't respond but instead took my time to stand up, giving him the impression that I was about to take the ring.

I did take it!

He was supposed to put it on my ring finger but I beat him to it and picked up the ring. I brought it close to my eyes, scrutinizing it to see if the diamond on top was fake.

He was already smiling widely and probably couldn't wait to hear my response. I looked at him blankly and then threw the ring on the floor.

"No!" Was my blunt reply and I walked out on him.

The restaurant turned quiet and only the sound of my heels could be heard. The poor guy was still on his knees with his mouth open.

I threw one glance back and finally left.

That restaurant was the same restaurant where my high school friend got her heart broken and tell you what...he was the same guy.

I just returned the favour, now he knew how she felt when he broke up with her and went after her cousin. I smiled, I felt like a villain whose job was to get revenge on every single person that got on my bad side. I still had a mental note of every break-up I witnessed both in high school and college.
My phone rang and kept ringing as I entered a cab. My supposed boyfriend or rather ex was calling, I wasn't going to answer, not yet.

I stalled for like 15 minutes before finally answering.

" Hello".

" Lizzy please where are you? Please let's talk, I can't lose you. Is there anything I did wrong ?" I hate it when he calls me that.

I sighed. " I was never yours to begin with Felix, I just used you and now you've been dumped just like you dumped Avery".

His voice cracked. " What?...what do you mean? ... please stop talking nonsense and come to me. I love you so much ".

I was disgusted. "You disgust me Felix, you and all your species disgust me ." I ended the call.

The taxi driver gave me a knowing look. " Oh no Grandpa, you are an exception". I patted his shoulders, the old man might have been shocked by my outburst.

" You still haven't told me where you're going yet ". He said grumpily

I forgot I entered the car and told him to start driving immediately. I didn't want Felix to catch up with me.
"To Luciano Hotel ". Cold wine and a nice bath would do me some good.

" Are you married ?".

"Nope "

"Engaged?"

"Nope?"

"Relationship?"

"Nope"

"Then what was that about? ".

Grandpa was being nosy but I didn't mind, this might be the last time I would see him so there was no big deal.
"I hate men, I have a strong anathema towards the male specie".

He looked surprised and I laughed, I've seen that expression so many times.
" But surely, you would get married someday right ?"

"Nah ....I just told you. I hate the male specie ".

"Whatever your reasons are, I know you can't keep it up forever. My wife used to hate men too but look at us now . You'll find someone who would change your heart someday".

I looked out the window, I didn't think any man would be able to break through the wall I had around my heart.

He continued. " Not all men are scum you know ."

I laughed. " So you are aware that men are scum ? ".

" Yes I am, but not all. You just haven't come across the good ones ".

" Well, the only good man I know is my dad ".

He took a left turn and the hotel came into view, I had arrived at my destination.

" Don't worry, you'll meet someone who'll change your view on the male species ".

I came out of the car, paid for my ride and waved at him. " Unfortunately, I don't believe in love. It only ends in pain". I said and quickly walked away. I didn't want to hear the rest of his sermon.
He was beginning to sound like my dad who always nag me about getting married.
          Speaking of which, I was at his hotel and I just hoped I wouldn't bump into him.
          I didn't want to go home yet, I plan on staying for a month at least because Felix would come looking for me at my house.
           Did I mention, this was a five-star hotel and among the best top ten? The jacuzzi was superb and the food was the best, I needed a massage and this was the best place for it.

       Happily, I walked in and was directed to my room on the top floor which had a very nice view. The first thing I did when I got in was quickly take off my clothes and hopped into the jacuzzi.
I felt my muscles relax in the warm water, and soon enough I fell asleep.

___________________

First chapter done! I hope you liked it,more chapters are coming so look forward to it!

~Vinnianca.