35.

Before you even articulate your wonderment on whether the Gita will find its way into this story, let me tell you. No, it won't. Why? Well, I didn't get to hear it. So how would I know?

What I can tell you is that Arjun's approach to the war changed entirely. Over the course of the war, he started believing in the cause even more. The fear of fratricide declined, like a receding tidal wave.

He was determined and resourceful. You know all of this. Every rendition of the Mahabharata talks about an enlightened Arjun.

Let me tell you about how everyone who wasn't a man dealt with it. In the day, the women looked after the wounded. They wept over the deceased. They prepared food for those who were fortunate enough to return while ensuring that their tears did not spill into the food. Beds were prepared, water was arranged for.

The royal women simply wiled away their time in festering anticipation and worry. In fact, the three daughters-in-law of the Pandava clan dealt with the war in enitrely separate ways.

Draupadi watched the war, distancing herself from everyone. At daybreak, she would bathe and head up the knoll and stay there till dusk. If she felt any despair, it could only be deciphered by her watery eyes when she came back down every evening.

Subhadra catered to the needs of Kunti and Uttara, who was now expecting a child. It was extremely awkward news for me. Abhimanyu was the youngest Pandava son and he was married before the rest. Now, he was on his way to being a father when his elder siblings were still unmarried.

Meanwhile, I found it terribly boring to watch without being able to discern who was who on the battlefield. I watched the war that first day. And when the sun finally set and the warriors retreated back to their camps, I went down to meet my family.

Worn and exhausted, the men quietly entered the tent. When they did, the maids were ready with food, water and baths.

Only Kanha did not seem half as tired. He strode in with a facade that was partially grim and partially pleased.
"We put up a good fight." He told me in passing. I only watched as him as he entered his own tent.

*****

I did not sleep well that night. The men were groaning and screaming in pain. I remember looking at Arjun incredulously as he slept soundly.

Still, it was a good sign he was sleeping. He needed it.

I gazed at his countenance under the soft moonlight. Then I leaned forward and pressed a soft kiss to his forehead before leaving our tent and heading out.

The medical camp was full on the first night. Nurses hurried around carrying water and other supplies, tending to the wounded. There was a young soldier who let out an ear-splitting scream as the doctors worked on his injured foot. I winced at the sound.

A young girl walked up to me. "Rajkumari, why are you up? This is no place for you. We will manage here." I examined her face, saying nothing. The girl was uneasy, unfamiliar with the experience of having royalty before her.

"You're clearly understaffed." I pointed out.

The girl started to protest but I silenced her. "How can I help?"

*****

As per the lingo of the twenty-first century, I was sleep-deprived for nineteen days from that night onwards. The days went by in uneasy anticipation and the nights were spent taking care of the wounded.

It was chaos.

Nonetheless, I had a constant companion through it all. Shikhandi. Draupadi's eldest sibling.