3.

The woman in the mirror stared back at me. Her figure had been graced with minor curves. Her skin was the colour of the sand beside the sea. Light glowed off of her sculpted face. Her mouth, smeared with red, highlighted her perfect lips. Wrapped in a violet sari, she had bedecked herself with minimal but exotic jewellery. A heavy necklace and bangles. Chestnut coloured hair cascaded just below her shoulders.

I smiled at what I saw and then proceeded out of my chambers. Arjun had, at last, decided that it was time to make up for the lessons I missed with my father. He had said nothing of what attire I should wear so I decided to go for an outfit that walked the line between casual and "fit for a princess".

Twilight loomed over Vrikesh. The birds were softly twittering in the shades of the trees. But it was the sky that was the thing of beauty at this time. Lustrous shades of orange and red and pink. Beautiful. Undeniably beautiful. The gold of the palace pillars gleamed in the soft light. And when I arrived at the terrace, I squeaked.

The whole terrace was glowing under the lights of diyas. The palace musicians sat in one corner, smiling sheepishly.

And there he was, Arjun, looking ravishing in his royal garments, his form looked even more mesmerising in the light of the diyas. His lips curled into a fond smile as he beheld me. I took his palm and he squeezed my hand, much like the way Karna did.

"I do not think I have ever seen a lovelier sight than you, Rajkumari." He said softly, still staring at me.

I remember wanting to laugh myself hoarse back then. The husband of the most beautiful woman in the land was giving me such a compliment....

"Flattery will get you nowhere, Rajkumar." I drawled, smiling.

"Yet you're smiling at me."

And so I was, my smile increasing. "You say that even after marrying Draupadi?" I asked earnestly. The thought had stayed with me for five days after my visit to Anga. In that time, Arjun had spent a significant amount of his time in my company. We spoke of things that I never thought a princess would ever be able to speak about to a prince. He was witty and warm. A thorough gentleman and a tease. I had begun to look forward to our encounters.

Arjun did not hesitate for a second before replying, "I do."

My ears turned pink at his words.

"I hear you're the best dancer in Aryavarta, Mrinali. I have heard princes say that they loved you after seeing a single performance. Your father's courtiers tell me nothing compares to your art. They say you love dancing more than anything else in the world; and yet I haven't even seen you twirl so far. Will you do me the honour?"

I nodded.

The music began, slowly and sweetly. I slipped into movement without a second's hesitation. Arjun moved too. We moved in a circle, a few steps apart. Then the music picked up the pace and I spun wildly. My feet remembered all the movements. The song was a wild drum beat in my ears, beating in time with my heart. Arjun, slightly clumsy, followed suit. We moved together, never touching but only inches away from each other's body.

"Here it comes, Rajkumari." One of the musicians called out.

The tempo picked up again. This song, in its grand and roaring end, had fifteen turns before dancers halted. I twirled on the axis of my body, lost in the music. And then another. And another. Briefly, I sensed Arjun getting out of my way. My bangles clinked together as I rotated on my body's axis. My blood rose in song along with the music. I turned and turned and turned. For mere seconds, while turning, I found Arjun's eyes—locked on me and looking as if in awe.

Smirking, I moved again. On the tenth turn, I loosened my control over my body and let it twirl the last five on its own volition. Then I was stationary, breathing, wild with the music. The musicians smiled at me, used to my performances. But Arjun stood, enchanted and in a trance.

Gulping down a blast of air, I said to him, "You're dancing skills are subpar, at best."

The blush that bloomed on his face was heavy and widespread. "Well," he began, all sign of embarrassment vanishing, "who can compare to that?"

I laughed and bowed dramatically.

"I have never seen anyone even move like that." He continued, eyes still disbelieving.

"I thought you'd be a better dancer given your...education."

"Only swordsmen can be as quick on their feet as you were a few moments ago. I am an archer. For me, it is necessary to keep my feet firmly on the ground so that no one can shake them." Arjun offered, smiling.

"Maybe I should dance with Rajkumar Nakul, then."

He laughed. "Maybe you should."

I let myself breathe again under his stare. I instructed the musicians to play a slower song before holding out my hand. "Come, let me teach you."

His hand was firm but slightly rough. His fingertips were grating against my own smooth digits. I steered us into motion. Arjun, the legendary warrior, moved uncomfortably, concentrating on his feet as he looked down. As if he was afraid to misstep.

I smirked. "Eyes on the partner, Arjun." Quickly, his gaze flickered upwards. He gave me a clumsy smile and turned with me.

We were only a few moves in when Arjun softly confessed. "This...is harder than I thought."

I laughed. "Who knew that Rajkumar Arjun could be bad at something?"

"Oh, you will be surprised by all the things I am bad at."

"Pray, do tell." I smiled, twirling in front of him.

"Hmm, where do I begin? I'm a terrible dancer, I am not suited for life in a court, I am bad at keeping my cool like my brother and patience is a distant concept for me. What else is there?"

Nothing could be heard apart from the music as he ruminated there. The sky had darkened into a singular black and the stars had finally come out. Arjun frowned, eyes on the floor. Then his face lit up and looked at me.

"I," he began, "also happen to be a terrible singer! Truly, I have no talent when it comes to the arts."

I smiled. The music stopped and we proceeded to sit on a bench.

"Archery isn't an art?"

"Archery is...more than art. It is my form of worship and prayer. It is my solace when everything seems bleak, at best. Every time I pick up my bow, it feels like walking into a different world—here, there are no kings and no courtly or political intrigues. I nock an arrow. And then, there's only the arrow and the target. Everything else just fades into the background. It's like.... meditation!" Arjun's face lit up. "Soothing and requiring focus. For me, that's archery."

As he spoke, his eyes had turned distant. I imagined him standing in front of a target and shooting. Each shot getting harder and harder. And he? He enjoyed the difficulty, a grim smile on his face. It was a wonderful image. He reminded me of Karna.

So I asked the Prince. "Will you show me?"

His answering smile was all the confirmation I needed.

*****
Ahh, the first lovely moment between Mrinali and Arjun. What did you think of it? Do let me know!

Love.