12.

Because we were a newly married couple, it was deigned necessary for Arjun and I to visit Hastinapur. So we went.

Leaving the palace, we were met with a crowd of people. Children smiled up at us as Arjun, Karna, Nihaar and I made our way out. People chanted my name.

In one loud, resounding roar. One chant. One name. Satyadhaara. Satyadhaara. Satyadhaara.

I smirked and then grinned, raising a hand. People roared and I laughed, smiling wider. It felt good to know that my own countrymen loved me. Women and children smiled up at me. Flower petals rained over my new husband and I. The men cheered us on. Satyadhaara.

"What does it mean?" Arjun asked.

Nihaar responded before I could. "It is the people's name for Didi. She is, in their opinion, quite literally satya ki dhaar. The string of truth. Honest and known for saying the truth as it is."

Arjun looked away, possibly mulling over my name. He then turned to look at me.

I raised one brow, smiling—a challenge. "Well?" I said.

Arjun's lips curled, grinning. "Mrinali," he breathed. "If you are the string of truth, then I beg you, remain so. Remain so and I will love you for it. The one star of honesty in a night of lies and deceit. Be my satyadhaar."

Some part of my heart melted at that. Another part sprang up, giddy.

"Always, Rajkumar."

We were at the outskirts now. I eyed Karna and Nihaar. It's the end of an era. I remember that thought bouncing around my head, uncertainty and hormones fuelled up.

And then I looked at Arjun. A man of adventure, surprise and promise. He noticed my stare and smiled softly. I knew right then. It is also the beginning of another era.

Arjun put an arm around my shoulders in comfort. I turned to my brother and my sakha. Placing my palm in theirs, in turn. A silent goodbye. That would not be the end. I would meet them. Again and again and again. They would never be too far away. They would always be the beacon of stars lighting up my life.

I turned to look at the home that I had grown up in. Smiled at its memories. I would make new memories with new people. I would run towards destiny without look back. But I allowed myself to stare at my home one last time. I would come home again.

Then I looked ahead, nodded at Arjun. "Proceed."

*****

To anyone who believes in the 'greatness' of the Hastinapur palace, here's a splash of reality. Let me tell you, the palace was grand and odious. If the palace was ever personified, it would be portrayed as a rich man with rigid values and little respect for anyone in the world. I had shuddered when I had first walked through its large and opulent hallways. There was so much jewellery and so much unnecessary art. Aesthetics were absent, clearly a man's design. And the wealth...it threatened to spill over in riches. As if the Kuru clan wanted the world to know of their raids and dominance in Aryavarta. It was tasteless decor.

So were the people. Tasteless, I mean.
The blind king and queen received us with as much luxury as possible. And when we told them that we would be staying only for two days, they insisted we stay for a week!

I remember cringing about it the minute my hosts were out of sight. Arjun offered a reassuring hand on my back as we walked into the lion's den. The location of trauma for Arjun and his brothers.

"I hate this palace." Arjun declared, settling on our bed. At last we were in our own chambers.

"Thank heavens, I was worried you would be offended if I said it first."