18.

"Mrinali, my dear! We leave today!" Arjun called out.

"I am coming. I am coming!" I yelled out the window. To my maids, I signalled them to leave before Arjun went berserk. Packages of clothes and jewellery went down with them.

As for myself, I looked in the mirror one last time before the journey to Vrikesh. My reflection glimpsed back at me. Perfect!

Then I rushed. To the door, out the door, down the spiral staircase, across the main hall and out.

Arjun gave me a brief smile before I chugged in another breath and climbed the chariot. "I am here." I said, out of breath.

"Indeed. Shall we go?"

"Yes!" A young voice piped up from in front of us. Amar looked up at his parents with a sheepish smile. "It is Nihaar Mama's wedding and we can't miss it!"

Arjun laughed, the sound hearty and clear. There was still a boisterous lilt in his glee. I smiled wider.

Patting Arjun on the forearm, I sat down, sighing. Beside me, Arjun gracefully folded himself onto the seat.

Briefly, so that no one could see, I gave him a fleeting kiss on the cheek.

I saw his lips curl. He turned to me, with that ravenous look in his eyes (bhagwan, how my insides curled at that look), leaned over and kissed me square on the lips. Ahh, now that I am dead, I can freely tell you that even my mind went limp when my husband touched me.

That is how the journey went by. With us sending sultry looks each other's way.

When we did reach my parental residence, Arjun and I, after a short (but what felt like an eternity) welcome excused ourselves to my old room.

*****

W

hen I left my room, utterly sated and pleased, I bumped into my little brother.

"Oh, Nihaar!" I exclaimed. "How ar—"

"Oh, stop it." Nihaar admonished and then grinned ear to ear. "We all know what happened here."

He pointed his head in the direction of my bedroom.

How wonderful.

"Is that so?" I put a hand up to massage a temples where a headache was starting to develop.

Nihar nodded, grinning. Then he deftly changed the topic. "I hope you will put up a show for us, Didi. I am afraid Jaya is looking forward to it!"

"I still haven't seen her. How is it that you are marrying this woman and I am yet to see her?"

Nihaar smiled sheepishly. "All in good time, Didi."

*****

I watched as Yudhisthira and Duryodhan conversed with little hostility. If they fought during Nihaar's wedding. . . the thought made me wince.

"Don't worry, child, they will not create a scene." Bhishma Pitamah's somber voice stated from behind me.

"You think so?" As amazing as he was, the grandfather was known to be too optimistic.

"They will. It is not their event. Making a scene will create embarassment. The fight is not worth it." It would be worth it later. They would make more than a scene. They would make a war out of the whole thing.

Anyway, moving on.

I danced at my brother's wedding. It was the first time Arjun's family had seen me perform. Oh, they had seen me sway and twirl and strike poses but they had never spotted me flowing with the music. Not even on the days I practiced on a weekly basis. I was a dancer not a performer. The gap between the two terms is wide. I was not the woman you called upon to dance on a whim. I was requested to dance.

Maybe this was where my "rajkumari" complex peeked across the curtain of restraint. I was royalty. I would be treated so.

I did dance on my brother and his new wife, Rajkumari Jaya's request.

Call me arrogant but a garden-full of kings, queens, princes and princesses stopped whatever they were doing to watch me move.

And I? I was lost in the rhythm of the music. My feet carried me with the beat and the expressions flowed through my face. The tempo picked up and so did my footwork.

A symphony of music, glorious and resounding, reverberated through the garden. Now, my feet covered my stage in long strides, practically galloping over the place. It ended beautifully, the song. Like soft waves caressing and enveloping the shore. So I swayed, until I was on my knees. Until the music breathed its last.

There was silence. Then there was raging applause.

When I got off the stage, a few young girls surrounded me. I smiled and went to greet them—and was interrupted by them calmly kneeling down and brushing their fingers over my toes.

"What are you doing? We are of the same rank, rajkumaris." I hissed, alarmed.

The girls, sweet-faced and glowing with innocence, smiled up at me. "We have been studying dance, Rajkumari." One of them spoke up. The other three nodded.

A second princess piped up. "Our guruji is always praising you. He tells us if one should ever find Rajkumari Mrinali swaying, they should step back and let the supreme lady command the senses."

I smiled, amused.

"He also told us," the third girl, breathless with a twinkle in her eyes, blurted, "that if we were ever lucky enough to see you dance, we should fall to your feet and pray to have a grace like yours."

I laughed. Putting an arm around the two girls closest to me, I whispered, "You shall have grace and so much more, my dear ladies. So much more."

They blushed and grinned before scampering off. I saw them disappear into the crowd and then whirled into a sea of compliments again.

*****

Sitting at home alone had always been a pleasure. Arjun had been away with Kanha. Amar was busy with his brothers. I lay on the bed, sighing out of peace. I loved those two with all my heart.

But a woman must be given time to be a woman, no? To be an individual outside of being a wife, mother, daughter, sister.

The cuckoos chirped in the trees. The sound mingled with footfalls that were headed my way.

"Rajkumari?"

"What is it?" I arose from my position to look at the maid who had walked in.

"It is Rajkumar Arjun. He–he has returned."

"Ahh," I slipped out of bed, righting my attire and headed to the door.

"Rajkumari!"

I turned to look at the maid again. She shyly raised a pooja thali.

"Whatever is this for? You know I do not engage in such ceremonies."

We were in motion once more. The maid hurried to keep pace. "Trust me, Rajkumari, you will need it."

Raising a brow, I took the thali from her hands and continued walking to the entrance of the palace.

When we were nearly there, I called out, "Arj—" and was promptly silenced as I turned the corner to stand at the doorway.

My husband stood there. A solemn yet hopeful look on his face. Affection softened his features as he looked at me.

I scanned him up and down.

A garland of flowers was draped over his shoulders.

And a new bride stood at his side.

*****
Well well, we are finally onto a new chapter. What did you think of it?

I am terribly sorry to have kept away, college ugh. I will be better!

Do vote and leave comments :)

Until next week,
Love.