33.

The days of anticipation and preparation that built up to the war were extremely anxiety-prone.

There was a rough staccato of movement in every activity that was undertaken. Decisions were swift and cutting. The Pandava brothers aimed to pull in as many favours and allies as they could.

There was also another minor frustration for me. It was Arjun's year as Draupadi's husband. So when I needed him or missed him terribly, he would be missing. In the days, he would go off, running his brother's errands. In the nights, he would limp into their shared bedroom with nothing more than a feeble smile my way.

I cannot explain how much it irked me. Like the irritating mosquito that always ducked one's attempts to kill it. Nevertheless, I suffered in silence. There was nothing more to be said or done.

Kunti had finally been returned to her sons. That was a teary reunion. The three daughters-in-law watched on, transfixed, as the men practically tackled their mother.

Draupadi had scowled. No doubt, Kunti's slighting jibes would return in full force. Just as soon as she looked at Draupadi and eyed her attire.

My dear sister and her husbands had returned to their previous finery. And what a pleasure it was to return to that; to what we were. Of course, things had changed. Our circumstances had altered and neither were we the youthful collective that we were early into my marriage.

Panchali stood, sharp and tall. Looking absolutely stunning. Her hair, which she had vowed not to tie until revenge had been taken, was the only thing gone awry in her otherwise regal clothing. Her locks were matted and wild. It gave her a frightening aura. She enjoyed the look thoroughly. I remember catching her peeking at herself in mirrors and smiling triumphantly at the reflection.

Anyway, as soon as Kunti saw the hair, she scowled too. She had aged considerably. From the last time we had seen her, she was more silent and feeble, faltering in appetite and conviction. It was shocking. She could still be scathing. That wonderful attribute was not lost yet.

In the time that she was with us, she was very restless. She always wished to be close to her sons, see them, look at them. She prayed often too. She prayed that all her sons be alive at the end of the war. It was odd. Prepping my fingers under my chin, I contemplated. What ever did she mean by 'all her sons'?

The words stayed with me for an age.

*****

In all the hubbub, I had decided to slip out to meet Karna. I was just heading out, rushing down the stairs when I was called to.

Turning around, I saw Arjun looking down at me. "Priye, where are you off to?" There was a crease in his brows.

"Out."

"Where?"

I kept silent, looking up at him. Arjun gave me a hard stare. He shook his head in denial. I dipped my chin, letting him know that I'd do as I wish.

"Mrinali, we are at war with him." He spoke in a cool, measured tone. "How do you think people will react when they see their princess fraternising with the enemy?" The look on his expression was so delicate and yet, firm.

In my mind, I knew what he was proposing was ridiculous. However, I realised with a raised brow that my spouse was right.

"Very well," I sighed and walked back towards him.

Arjun gave me a darling smile and held out a hand. I could only give him a feeble tilt of the lips while reaching out to hold his extended palm.

My husband stood in place until I reached the top of the steps. He then looked me in the eye while pressing a gentle kiss to my knuckles.

The romantic in me swooned.

We walked in, hands held.

Meanwhile I was thinking how the people couldn't witness my fraternity with the "enemy" in the dark.

*****

In the silence of the night, I hurriedly saddled my horse in the stables.

It was on such nights that I felt grateful I had married a man with several wives. That night, Arjun was not in my bed. Consequently, no one could actually prevent me from leaving the palace.

With the smug satisfaction of having successfully maneuvered my way around what Arjun said, I worked.

"Oh good, Mrinali, you're here too."

I froze and then looked up, across my horse.

Draupadi stood there, alarmed.

"What are you doing here? And what do you mean too?" I asked, sotto voce.

"I saw Kunti rushing through the corridors. I followed her, then I saw her leave the palace!" She hissed.

I blinked. "Where is our mother-in-law going at this hour?"

"Who knows? And, where exactly are you off to?"

I paused. Considered telling the truth. Then blurted it out. "Karna."

The look on her face was priceless. A careful sketch of surprise and nonchalance. It looked like she wanted to say something important.

"Ready a horse for yourself. If we want to find out where she is going, we have to hurry!" I told her.

Soon, we were off.

Apart from the ruckus stirred by the crickets, there was no sound as we travelled.

"How did you manage to get out of bed without waking Arjun? Or anyone else?" I asked.

Draupadi did not look my way, choosing to stare at her legs as she sat in the graceful side-saddle that women always prefer.

"I drugged them." She mumbled.

"You what?"

She hushed me.

"You drugged all of them?"

"Only Arjun and Sahdev."

Ahh, because Arjun was too sensitive a sleeper and Sahdev had strangely accurate premonitions. I nodded in response.

We rode in silence.

"It was almost too easy, you know? I am shocked. Neither of them even realized, I think." She surmised, possibly recounting her actions. Then her brown eyes met mine and we shared a supressed giggle.

I mulled over Draupadi's adventure of the night. "You must have known Kunti was leaving tonight if such planning was already underway and executed?"

She nodded. "I heard her talking about going out and asking her maids to put out the appropriate attire."

"Clever you." I complimented.

Under the gleam of the moonlight, Draupadi offered me a radiant smile.

*****

Let the intrigue settle in, dear reader. Ahh, isn't it magical, the beauty of suspense?

The war is not too far away. Tell me, will Rajkumari Mrinali walk away unscathed?

Let me know what you think!

Love.