21.

We had been received with much gusto back at the Hastinapur palace.

Panchali and I stood abreast atop our chariot, waving to the crowd before quickly stepping off and being welcomed by the royal family. The biggest surprise was our mother-in-law hugging us warmly. Indeed, Draupadi looked alarmed as Kunti embraced her. I only chuckled.

The latest addition to the family was, of course, young Bhanumati. She was soft and delicate like the most gracious flower. Kind and apologetic.

I was so surprised that Duryodhan had chosen to tie down such an innocent girl to him that I almost forgot to greet her back.

As for the palace, well, what can we say about it?

It looked refurbished, the floors scrubbed clean in an effort to bring out a sparkle in dull tiles that had lasted for ages. An attempt to imitate the glowing tiles at Indraprastha. I hid a smile.

Duryodhan seemed to be trying to make a point with his refurbished new home and wife. All of us watched him with amusement as he gave us a tour of everything he'd changed. Then he gave us the greatest surprise of all—inviting us all, yes, even the ladies!—to a lavish private dinner. Family only. Everybody seemed pleased with the plan.

Regardless of what would happen in the future, that dinner was one of the loveliest I have been to. Panchali might tell you otherwise, smarting under the disdain of having been copied. But still, it was lovely.

Food aplenty, drinks galore, decorations and jewellery. Everything sparkled! It was astonishing. You can include Arjun and I in the things that sparkled.

We had entered the dining hall together, wearing the complementary attire. I wore a blue sari with heavy embroidery on it. Bangles clicked gently upon my wrists and my crown sat snug upon my hair. Princess, indeed.

Arjun, too, wore dazzling blue attire, the match to mine. When we entered the hall, the chatter stopped to gaze upon us walking hand-in-hand. It was delightful. He and I made an attractive couple to behold. So I've been told.
Kunti beamed, pride coating her featurs as she saw us enter. Ah, minstrels would sing of this moment. When the royal couple made the family hold their breath upon their arrival.

*****

The women dispersed to our side of the palace after that dinner. Kunti and Gandhari told us stories of the older days and told us how lucky we were to live in such a time.

All of us daughters-in-law shared a look with each other. The elders always seemed to think they had it worse. Just like we would tell our own children tha they had it better than us; our children would say the same thing to theirs. It is an eternal cycle betwixt children and parents.
Once they retired to bed, we ladies could finally speak freely. 

Bhanumati was gregarious. My enthusiasm to roam around in social circles was nothing compared to hers. She chatted away, happily, talking about this and that. Briefly, she would talk about her husband. A blooming smile would show up on her face when she spoke of him. Pink tainted her youthful cheeks. Her voice was shy and demure while taking Duryodhan's name.

I must say, it alarmed me greatly. It was sinister and twisted, to see a woman bashfully speak of such a crude man. To watch her blush and simper. It was like watching a deer falling in love with a hyena. Just, absolutely wrong!

I controlled my expression when Bhanumati spoke of Duryodhan's tenderness. I never believed affection was a part of the Yuvraj's vocabulary.

Neither did Draupadi apparently, for she stiffened just a bit upon hearing Bhanumati's words.

Then the young princess fell upon the discussion of clothes and jewellery, flashing her latest outfits for us to see. She was sweet and amiable and bubbling with life.

To this day, I do not understand how it is that Duryodhan managed to make her fall in love with him. Draupadi and I shared a look as our new sister-in-law fawned over her new wardrobe.

I shook off her behavior eventually. Different types of people could be in love with each other. Love is a powerful tonic. One that overcomes most behaviours.

Maybe Duryodhan was soft with her. How were we to know? More importantly, who were we to object?

*****

Peace at last! I was bustling through Hastinapur's marketplace, looking for spices that weren't always available in Indraprastha.

I must say, while there was plenty available in Indraprastha's markets, there was a certain bustle abuzz in Hastinapur's lanes. Business, cut-throat business as customers furiously haggled with shopkeepers and they responded with equal ferocity. Everyone wanted to hit gold and were willing to do anything for it. Much like their own royal princes.

I smiled. The atmosphere was thrilling. The hustle was alive. As was I.

It was at that moment when I spotted a bustle of movement, the crowd stirring and scattering to make way. People yelped as they moved.

I watched, intrigued.

An army of palace maids broke through the dust, rushing to me.

I was coughing out the dust as they stood before me.

"Rajkumari," one of them panted. They all looked miserable.

"You must return now!"

"Yes! You're needed!"

"Now!"

"Please, we can only turn to you!"

The swarm gently pushed me into walking as they buzzed around. They held my hands and tugged me along. I gazed at the tidal wave that slowly directed me back to the palace, taken aback.

"What are you doing? What has happened?"

"It's–it is Samragyi Draupadi, Rajkumari! She was dragged into the sabha and she is nothing but a single piece of cloth."

"Dragged? What do you mean she was dragged? By whom?"

"Rajkumar Dushasan!" A voice popped up.

My heart stopped. And then I was running. Sprinting back home.

"Out of the way! Get out of the way!" The maids yelled behind me, breaking into a run too.

My sprint was a blur. I navigated around throngs of people, rushing through the streets, entered the palace grounds and scrambled into the women's quarters.

She wasn't there.

I ran to the sabha. Fluttering in, I saw her there. In the centre. One sari. Flippant and feeble.

*****
Did you miss me?

Here's the new chapter! Let me know what you think of it!

Love.