8.

Rajkumari Mrinali rarely stepped out to meet suitors, that is what was said about me. They never noticed that the princess bustled around all day—working in the palace and the fields, paying attention to her father's lessons and dancing.

What did potential suitors and other royalty say instead? Oh, she is too arrogant and haughty. What does she think of herself? There are plenty of other beautiful royal ladies that make a good match.

They always grumbled something along these lines whenever I missed a royal event (hundreds of them) or turned them down. Regardless of my antics, I was still unimaginably beautiful, graceful and with wonderful parentage. Oh yes, Vrikantputri Mrinali was, despite all her antics, quite the catch.

Thus, whenever I did attend an aristocratic event, these vultures that we call princes and kings, would descend upon me like hyenas who have found food after days of searching.

The Rajasuya Yagna was one such occasion.

Men, hundreds of them, flocked around the vicinity of yours truly. There was solace only in the Ladies' quarters of the palace and outside, my dear brother, acted as my personal human shield. Men watched every move I made, rushing to get me water or food, waiting for an opportunity to flash their skill, looks and knowledge. Every time they did so, I would feel like combusting into flames. But initially, it was hilarious!

These oh-so-mighty-and-powerful men blushed and simpered before me, stumbling over words and unable to look me in the eye! I am sure you all must have been in this position at least once. It feels good, doesn't it? It makes you feel powerful.

Arjun, despite the occasional flushing of his face, did not stutter. And I was impressed. Especially since Rajkumar Bhima did stutter while speaking to me. This factor also contributed to my reasons for being impressed by the middle son of Pandu. He was the pinnacle of centredness with a sprinkle of excitement as his eyes glittered with mischief and ambition. Arjun, somehow, made it seem like my presence did and did not affect him. It was amazing.

However, let me tell you something. The bumbling of men is amusing only up to a certain point. After that...

"It is exhausting! Bhagwan, make this hell stop!"

Arjun laughed. Laughed.

"Oh, this is not funny, Rajkumar. Be quiet." I huffed, walking on the grass again. The field rolled out before us. My sari shifted against my skin as the wind blew against our backs, herding the grey clouds in the sky.

"I thought women lived for this—having men at their beck and call, willing to serve." He mused.

Gah! Men and their arrogance...

"It is boring." I said, a tone of finality entering my voice. "Unimaginably dull. This is not what I want from life! Getting dressed, looking pretty, engaging in petty squabbles or looking down my nose on others. What sort of madness would that be? How dull could a life be?" I argued. "These ridiculous rules have tied us down to doing absolutely nothing with our lives. What woman wants that?"

Arjun kept quiet. His brows knitted together, lips pursed as he strolled beside me.

"This is not how I want to live my life. I cannot be involved in the myriad of minor jostles and  the chutzpah of royalty. I will not be subjected to... child-breeding as though that was all I am meant for. I could do something with my time and skills. Be of value, of use!"

"So, what do you want to do?" Arjun questioned, not looking at me.

"Huh?"

"What do you want to do?"

He turned to look my way, powerful brown eyes gazing into my own. Looking at me as if he was waiting for something. I didn't know what. I only knew that the intensity of his gaze roiled out some passion of my own. What I had said a few moments ago, I had not shared with many people. As for someone asking me what I wanted to do, that was downright scandalous. But at least, he had asked. Without reproach. Maybe that was good enough for a kshatriya male who believed in law and order and traditions. I knew most of them wouldn't bother to listen to my plight, no matter what the circumstances.

So I met his eye and said, "I want a life of speed and adventure. I want to move forward, do everything, learn everything and never, never look back. I want to run and jump and fly. I also want to stumble and fall. To want every moment to be part of a greater, grander tapestry of adventure and to be a part of it. Is that too much to ask for?"

I panted for breath, sulking in gulps of air. The tidal wave of emotion had overwhelmed me. Arjun continued to gaze at me. Silence settled between us.

For a breath of a moment, I was afraid he would laugh. Laugh at my dreams and hopes. I thought he would storm off or mock me. But he did not. Instead, he scrutinized my being calmly and keenly. An archer sizing up his target. I was aware of every rustle of grass, every movement on the field. My body tingled—awake and alive. Everything stood on end, paying attention as Arjun studied me.

I did not look away; for it would mean defeat. And I was willing to fight tooth and claw for my dreams.

And then he parted his lips. "Marry me."

My pulse fluttered—a merry staccato beat coursing through me at his words.
I blinked. Peering at him, his flawless features showed no sign of mirth, I almost gasped. Arjun was being perfectly serious.

His eyes softened and the warrior held out an inviting hand.

"This life you so desire, I can give it to you. Marry me and it'll be yours."

I inhaled sharply. "You-you would do that?"

Arjun smiled softly, nodding. "I love my freedom too. I love running, flying and stumbling as much as you seem to enjoy it. We could be happy together."

"You would not mind my being an... unconventional wife?"

He laughed out loud. "Certainly not. Besides, I would be marrying the woman I am in love with and my taste in women is...impeccable."

I scrunched my nose but still laughed.

"What do you say?" He asked, eyes boring into mine, the portrait of innocence and wanting. "Will you marry me?"

I did not even think about it.

I put my hand in his and squeezed it. "Yes."

My hand jerked back as thunder boomed across the world. A single drop of water fell on my head. Another fell of Arjun's arm. Rain gushed down in sheets upon us. We laughed a little, not moving to find shelter. We gazed at each other as I put my hand back in his.

"Do you think it's a sign?" I asked, staring at the sky. Thunder boomed again. The warrior smiled warmly before closing the distance between us and wrapping his arms around me.

I rested my head on his shoulder and concentrated on the drum of rain crashing to the earth. Arjun pressed me closer.

"It is a sign." He replied at last.

*****
Let the wedding bells be rung! But trouble is still around the corner. What could it possibly be? Let me know what you think!

Love.