28.

Arjun carried me to his small makeshift hut. We rested together, clinging to each other.

When I opened my eyes (a day and a half later, I'm told), I discovered his hands around my frame and his eyes already gazing at me.

"Good morning." I whispered, groggy.

"Hello," he smiled.

We stared at each other for a few minutes. Oh, how very little had changed, apart from his facial features, that is. His eyes were still quick and sharp, his cheekbones were high and piercing. The jawline was strong and exacting. When he gave me a soft smile, I knew the look in my bones.

"My dear wife," he spoke quietly, "how long have you been looking for me?"

"I don't know."

"I did not think you would come looking for me."

There it was. His sting from my harsh punishment. He was hurt. Of course, he was. So was I.

"I did not believe I would come looking for you either." I mumbled, turning to my side.

He only pulled me closer.

"I am glad you did. I missed you terribly. You have no idea how many nights I have spent in tears."

"What!" The drowsiness drained out of my system within a fraction of a second.

He nodded, suddenly looking sombre and miserable.

"Oh." I whimpered and pulled him closer. I completely gave myself into his physique's embrace.

"I missed you too," I mumbled in his ear.

"I thought I lost you, Mrinali."

"If I was a god-honest woman, you would have." I remarked with a snarky smile.

He chuckled and then proceeded to pull me closer. I thought he was going to burst into tears again. The implications of my lack of support for my spouse were not lost on me. Something inside one fractures when one's partner abandons them; and Arjun was always particularly sensitive when it came to feelings.

So I put my arms around my dear life partner and whispered in his ears, "I shan't leave you, Rajkumar."

He sniffled, outside of my view.

"A thousand pardons, Rajkumari," he breathed, "and a thousand thanks."

*****

Life in the forest was very interesting and demanding. Arjun taught me how to live in nature. He taught me to look for water, figure out which berries and fruits were safe to eat and how to avoid predators.

We lived in his little makeshift hut for months before switching over to traverse the lands and the forests.

By god's grace, my dancer's feet did not wobble or falter as easily as I thought. We would walk side by side, covering ground together, admiring the scenic beauty. In order to kill the montony, I used to hop onto roots and jump to others instead of walking straight. I made a dance out of it, twirling mid-air, hopping over multiple thick roots.

Arjun would always laugh. We met multiples sages and dined with them occasionally. Occasionally, we would sit with them as they gave sermons to their disciples.

Months must have passed in this. Until finally, Arjuna decided to begin his penance for the Pashupata astra.

Till date, I shake my head at his ambitions. He always unnecessarily enjoyed indulging in these ambitious dreams. All kshatriya men do so, do not misunderstand me.

However, Arjun took sadistic egotistical pleasure in doing so. Perennially churning the notion that he had to prove a point.

Karna was exactly the same.

Arjun gave me a dark look when I pointed out this little fact. I remember chuckling wildly.

Climbing some mountain, we settled on a clearing. That was where Arjun began his penance.

Sweet little me however, had no interest in praying to see Shiv.

"Why not, Mrinali?" Arjun asked. "Do you not want to see a God in all his splendour?" He sounded so dreamy, I was unsure whether the thought of acquiring the weapon or seeing the god excited him more.

Anyway, what was I to tell him? That I had practically danced with the divine being he was going to pray to? That his Madhav was nobody but the protector of the whole Universe?

Why pray for gods who had already visited you?

"You know what I think of gods." I deflected, smoothly.

He did not give it a second thought. Men. . .

Regardless, so began my husband's penance and my full-blown attention to dancing. I used to dance from sunrise and sunset. And then some more, for a few hours in the quiet hours. It was freeing. It was wonderful to devote myself to nothing but my art. I came up with new routines, new steps, created my own art in the larger artistic sphere. Bliss, bliss, bliss.

Sometimes I would watch Arjun meditate and pray. It was very interesting. I can't tell you how or why since the reasons are beyond my articulation. What was indeed, curious, was how his body changed. From smooth and robustly lean and strong, it weakened. His face seemed more tired. His eyes never opened. I watched with fascination.

We were completely alone, of that I was sure. In the weeks leading up to our current refuge, I had not seen a single soul. In the time, we resided in those quarters, not a single human noise echoed in the area apart from mine.

Until there was one.

My ears prickled as the familiar noise of dry leaves crunching under feet reached me.

I grabbed the makeshift dagger Arjun had made for me.

The footfalls were definitely heading my way. There was a silhouette outside my place of shelter.

Gathering courage, I whirled into action.

The blade stopped right at the stranger's neck. I looked up to identify the man. And was left gawking.

"Is this any way to greet a God, Rajkumari Mrinali?"

*****

Hello hello, I'm back! Yes, I've been away for weeks but my college has begun! Could you forgive me, dearest reader?

Mrinali and Arjun are reunited once more! What do we all think of it?

I personally enjoyed her being alone. A woman becomes a far more interesting creature when there is no drama, does she not?

Let me know what you think!

Love.