16.

"Your brother is so . . . frustrating." I scowled.

Sahdev laughed as he tended to the royal cows. Kneeling near the udders of the cow, he collected her milk. In the sun, the sweat that coated his arms was glistening. It is a shame he is overlooked so much by history. Sahdev was the most sensible Panduputra. No wait, everyone except Yudhishtira was sensible!

Sahdev had the tact of being diplomatic and pleasing simultaneously. And it was this habit he unfurled before everyone who was flustered. He remarked, "Let it go, Bhabhi, Bhratha Yudhishtira . . . he is the way he is. There is nothing we can do about it."

I wish I hadn't sat back and let myself be comforted. I wish I had sat straight and told Sahdev that someone should correct his ways. I regretted it later. Not teaching him. Not scorning him.

But I do not regret cursing him.

It is over now. Why repent over spilt milk? Time to move on.

As I vented to Sahdev, Nakul sauntered into the stables. Ah, the most beautiful Pandu prince was worthy of the title. Mischevious brown eyes and a dazzling smile. Soft hair. His physique was perfectly lean too. And that caramel-coloured skin was enough to make a girl swoon. Goodness, he left women wanting.

"Bhabhi!" He smiled, rushing over to where I sat under the tree beside Sahdev.

I grinned up at him. Nakul and I got along as well as can be expected for a wife and her younger brother-in-law. He would come and vent to me about his problems. Then he would tease me. Finally, he would laugh and we would continue talking. He was truly the easiest brother to talk to.

Leaning down, Nakul gently kissed my forehead. Scanning my face, he commented, "My, my, look at that pregnancy glow! Does Bhratha Arjun love you even more now?" A wild tease.

"Sit down, brother." I rolled my eyes and then smiled.

"I was only teasing, you look gorgeous as ever, Bhabhi!"

"Flattery will get you no where with me, Devar ji." I fluttered my eyelashes.

Nakul laughed; the sound, clear and light. "Well, what is going on here? What are you two whispering about?"

"Our sister-in-law is complaining about Bhratha Yudhishtira, nothing else."

"Nobody imprisons a seven-year-old child for stealing food!" I started with vehemence. "What sort of dharma is this, where second chances are forbidden?"

"As Samrath, he must lay down the law, don't you think so?" Nakul pushed back.

I shook my head. "You forget who you are talking to. I am not one of your elder brothers. I know you feel the same as me." The twins smiled at that. "Besides, a good king should practice mercy. That is what makes him a commendable ruler, don't you think so?"

Indecision strangled both of them. I remember noticing it in their eyes. Should they think for themselves and speak up or brush aside their thoughts in the name of obeisance paid to their eldest brother?

I had always hoped they would think and speak up. I hoped they would disobey.

It was Sahdev who spoke first. "Mercy is important, I admit, bhabhi but what can we say to Jyeshth?"

Nakul nodded, defeat in his eyes.

They would lose. Again and again in the name of being good younger siblings. They would continue this blind obedience until it snatched everything away from them.

*****

Apart from the minor irritation that was my eldest brother-in-law (for the rest of my bloody life), my pregnancy went on as well as can be expected. The days would pass in a blur. A blur of vomiting and cravings, that is.

I remember telling Arjun, "No one in the world is worth the pain of pregnancy." Then, I promptly hurled up my lunch while he laughed and then consoled me.

These were the days. And the nights consisted of Arjun holding me tightly, soft kisses delivered to my lips, cheeks and forehead. And promises. Silent promises. So I took solace. And life went on until finally, the day arrived.

It happened in the night. Draupadi, now the mother of three children, sat beside me as the lighthouse of experience in motherhood and pregnancy.

She used to come home every now and then. My pregnancy had made us closer. So had our mutual annoyance towards Yudhishtira. All the men of the house were relieved by the strengthening camaraderie between the women of the household.

The night breeze, brushed with jasmine, sailed through my windows as we sat there.

"How is it that you are pregnant three years after marriage?" Draupadi asked me, quietly. Under the moonlight, her features were less terrifyingly beautiful. There was a softer beauty. A beauty that spoke of a softer nature. She was not the type to spit fire all the time.

"Contraceptives, sister." I smiled. "I had the cook make me a concoction every month. I must have forgotten to drink the broth when I got preganant."

"Why?"

"I do not think I was ready to be a mother, I suppose. I wanted to work a little. And enjoy married life."

We both knew there was more to that. I was not interested in a conflict of progeny. Let her sons be the successors, I wished for no political ploy over who would be the heir.

She must have realised it because she gave me a small smile.

That's when the first contraction struck. I yelped, holding onto her hand.

"Hai bhagwan." She said, flatly. "Come on," gathering a grip over my hand, she led me to the bed. "To bed, to bed, to bed. The baby is coming!"

The bed felt slick against me. I hissed at the pain. Draupadi rushed out to get help.

Soon there were nursemaids, gripping my hands and holding me down. A wet cloth was placed on my forehead. Hazy. Everything went hazy as I inhaled deeply.

Cramps struck me. I might have screamed, the sound echoing in my ears. I closed my eyes

"Mrinali," a voice said calmly. Draupadi. Her palm found mine, gripping it firmly. "You will be fine. Just a short time of pain, then it shall be over. Can you do this much for me? Hold on?"

"Y-yes."

I could feel her giving me a determined smile. "Good." Then the hand was gone.

"MRINALI!"

"Out! Rajkumar Arjun, she will be fine. Worry not, I am here. But stay out." Draupadi commanded, queen over all.

He must have obeyed her because I did not hear from him.

Looking back, I can tell you that pushing is incredibly difficult. When I was giving birth, there was a lot of pushing to do. And a lot of un-ladylike swearing. No wonder women kept the men out of the delivery room. For once, we all could curse loudly at our difficulties.

We could curse only to be offered one of the most important moment in our lives. Now, do not misunderstand me. I know child-bearing is not all that women live for but I concede, it is an experience. An unforgettable one too.

My son was a small bundle of spirited vigour and outright joy. But I held him for only a total of five minutes before passing out.

*****

Happy New Year, everyone! A short author's note, today. I hope 2022 is a much better year for all of us. See you next week!

Love.