26.

"Bravo, Rajkumari Mrinali! Satya ki dhaar, you are as brave as you are wise. A formidable woman by right." Kanha—Vishnu drawled.

His eyes were ravenous. Not in the lustful way, his gaze was more disturbing. I was swallowed by the gaze of a god.

As I looked at him, trying to calculate what my next move should be, he kept staring at me.

In a stupor, I asked, "Why does my identifying you warrant praise?"

His gaze, if that was possible, intensified. "Even if I show myself to humans, leave hints, they prefer to tell themselves the lie. It is so much easier to believe me to be larger than life than a god."

That, I believed.

"And," he began again, "even if they realise who stands among them, they never speak up. You are the first to do so."

"Ah."

There was an awkward, contemplative silence.

"Well, it is nice to meet you." I said.

The god flashed one of Kanha's most notoriously sweet smiles. After realising his true identity, the smile only alarmed me.

"It's a pleasure, Rajkumari." He grinned.

There was a shuffle of footsteps from the direction of the palace then. Both of us turned to look at the newcomer.

Thus emerged Dau. With the slant of his eyes, he studied his brother and I and then said, "So she knows."

Truly, I was bewildered as to how he had gleaned that. Unless. . .

"Hai bhagwan, you are divine too!"

"There's no need to use my name as an exclamation, Mrinali. I'm already here." Kanha said.

I winced, the blush rising to my cheeks.

Dau was celestial. Everyone in this house then, was divine. That was the law, divinity married and birthed divinity.

"You," I pointed a finger at the god, not caring that he could ruin me with a thought, "brought me to a house of gods from the house of the children of gods?"

"The circumstances brought you here, yes."

I remember feeling immensely confused until he explained that gods do not enforce choices on people, they only set the environment for them to make the choice. The path that humans chose was entirely their own decision. But I could not get over the fact that I had been living among gods for months.

It was an odd feeling though. Most citizens of Aryavarta would have fallen to his feet and bleated out cries of happiness, keeping faith in the fact that their god would safeguard them.

Strangely enough, I felt no such inclination. I looked at Kanha and his un-human-like stature; all while my gut roared at me to run.

*****

Kanha, knowing fully well that a life between celestials was not particularly ideal for me, dropped me off to Vrikesh.

My first home. Back home, I was enveloped in warmth.

I sat with my parents for a few days. Played with my nieces. Trained with my brother. Spent time with his wife.

Until finally, my dear father summoned me on official business. "We need to discuss something." He told me, gravely.

The gray was beginning to streamline as streaks in his hair. Standing before him like I did that day, I felt like I was no older than a young child.

My silence was enough for him to continue.

"As you know, between you and Nihaar, it is he who is my Heir Apparent. He is expected to take on the crown and all the duties of a king when I am gone. It was then hoped that his own son would succeed him so as to continue our line, but he has two daughters." He paused for breath. "Lovely as they are, Nihaar's daughters cannot assume the royal duties of rulers because once they are married, their husbands will want their names to be staked upon the throne - a start of a new bloodline. This, I deem, unacceptable.

"My forefathers have ruled these lands for centuries. It is our dynasty who has been ruling these lands and always will."

"Well, why don't you ask Nihaar to try for a third child?"

"We have, it seems unlikely that his wife can give birth to a third child. We have been reliably informed that she is unable to." Papa replied.

I bit my lip, thinking. When no other option presented itself, I spoke, "What do you suppose we do, Papa?"

"I thought of making Amar. . . yuvraj."

For some reason, that did not shock me.

"I will have to speak with Arjun about this, Papa, before giving you an answer. I think it unlikely for him to refuse though."

"Good." My father with steely resolve, almost pleased that this conversation was over. Immediately, the shroud of stress left his visage. Then he gave me a small smile.

My father had known full well the dull demeanour that had dampened my attitude. His solution, he felt, was the easiest way to light me up. He gave me a knowing look. "Now, girl, if your son is to be king, you must guide him. And while I've made sure you knew the foundational principles of kingship, you must now learn the tricks of the trade."

I smiled. "Thank you, Papa." 

He only nodded. With one gesture, he stirred up both into motion.

Brain invigorated, I followed him through the sunny promenade, the lush gardens and the small pools to enter the courtroom.

My father hurried forward. As he crossed the giant hall, people gradually stood up and bowed to him. Striding ahead, he seated himself upon the throne.

All eyes were now turned my way. I quickly glanced at the scene. Faces, known and unknown, crowded the area. Amidst the crowd, I found my brother sitting on my father's left.

"Oh, well," I muttered under my breath and crossed the length of the hall.

*****

Hello, hello! A belated happy rakhi to everyone! May all of you have a lovely relationship with your siblings (that includes the fighting muahahaha).

I hope you all are well. Please tell me what you think of the latest chapter!

Sayonara!

Love.