32.

"Good lord, you are heavier than a mountain, get off!" I practically wheezed.

Karna had squashed me into an overwhelming hug. We stood in my private antechambers. I had to bring him here when he insisted upon speaking to me alone.

"I can barely breathe!"

"Be quiet, will you?"

I blinked. Then I did it again. I inhaled deeply and struggled under the weight of my...friend. The friend I hadn't spoken to in thirteen years.

"How are you?" Karna asked, still holding me tightly.

"This is hardly appropriate, I–" I started, "I am fine. You?"

"Me too." His voice cracked.

The sound made my ears prickle to attention. Slowly, I put a reassuring arm around him.

"What is the matter?"

For a long time, he did not answer. Then he let go and stared at me with sullen eyes. "What is the matter?" He echoed. "It has been thirteen years of plotting and scheming to kill your husband and his family. Thirteen years of listening to that Shakuni's cackle and Duryodhan's unfettered rage. I have spent thirteen years in guilt! And shame!

"Ashamed about the things I said in that sabha. I feel absolutely torn and wretched. I hear Draupadi screaming every night I close my eyes. And then there is you..."

I tilted my head in silence, gazing at him.

"That day, the look you gave me–it was so hateful. To you, I was a monster, a lowlife. I see that look in all my dreams. I have spent thirteen years living with the contempt of the woman I consider my greatest friend. This is what lies at the heart of my matters. In this whole period of absence, I had no one to rely on while I suffered the relatives of my friend. I could not confess my apologies, my shame to anyone. In this past year of hell that was the agyaatvaas, when I was sent out like a guard dog to sniff out the enemy, I was all alone." He finished with a tone of finality. "All alone."

Golden eyes refused to look at me. I watched his lips tremble as he finished speaking, his words ringing in my ears. My body felt like it was on fire. And I felt...I felt sympathetic and cold all at once. On the one hand, this was my friend. On the other, this was the offender of a woman's modesty.

When he finally looked my way, his eyes were watering. Meanwhile, I felt a moist blob on my cheek too. It was an aching moment. I had not seen him in years. I had not spoken to him, seen him laugh, met his family. Nothing. I could not bring myself to be cruel. How does one cold-heartedly turn away the friend who had been with one through everything?

"Sounds like you have had a rough couple of years." I croaked, tears falling.

There was a crinkle of a smile as a tear streamed down his face. It grew into a wide smile, the one I was familiar with. I gave him a toothy grin.

"I missed you." I told him.

"I missed you too."

Then I took his hand in mine. "I am here, Angaraj Karna."

"Just Karna. Please just Karna." His squeezed my hand, voice breaking even more. Something inside me clenched at the sight.

"Mrinali," he breathed, "forgive me. I am begging you forgive me. Thirteen years is enough time for punishment."

I gripped his hand tightly and murmured, "I forgive you, sakha."

The barrage of emotions could be held by no dam of will or restrain at that moment. Both of us were outright crying. He moved forward towards me.

"If you hug me again, I will kill you, you boulder!" I hiccupped.

Laughter mingled with the sobs as we reconciled in the silence of the palatial room.

*****

It was Kanha who finally dragged us out of my chambers with fresh news.

"The Pandavas have completed their term of exile." He said.

"What?" Karna and I echoed.

"There was an issue. The moon was up before Arjun revealed himself—"

"Arjun revealed himself?!" I asked. Of course, he would.

Karna and Kanha both gave me a look. A look that said 'of course he did'. I pursed my lips. My daredevil husband was going to get into trouble one day. He did. He really did.

But for that moment, I shook my head and motioned everyone to get ready so that we could go to Matsya.

I silently bade farewell to Karna as the rest of us climbed into palanquins and chariots.

Subhadra and I shared one. On our way there, she could not stop beaming! She was so thrilled. It had been a long thirteen years for her too. And she had gone so long without seeing her husband. And so had Abhimanyu. My heart softened when I thought about the boy.

He was so young when we had left. When I met him, I did not recognise him. Only he, with the thrill of an excited adolescent, rushed to greet me.  It made me laugh. When he heard the news, he was beyond elated. The boys happily conversed, roping in the adults.

"Are you excited?" Subhadra asked.

"Not as much as you are!" I teased.

A new blush arose on her soft cheeks. "I have missed him. So so much. And when we meet, I am sure it will be beyond wonderful."

"Of course! It will not be any other way!"

We chatted away happily until Matsya finally arrived.

*****

Nothing had changed. Except this time I was no longer an anonymous lady, I was back to being Rajkumari Mrinali. I sighed happily at the thought. We were all received just so. Royalty had entered the gates of Virat's kingdom and he would welcome us all accordingly. The family of Pandu alongside Krishna was legendary. Hosting them was an honour among honours.

I smiled at the queen, Sudeshna, and first met my sister. Subhadra made a beeline towards Arjun who greeted her happily. Everything was pleasant and elegant until the children burst through.

Nakul was right. We did need a girl and we were cursed with boys. There were boisterous yells as the children found their fathers, their mother and everyone else.

I grimaced and turned to Queen Sudeshna. "Terribly sorry about that, the boys have not seen their fathers and Maharani Draupadi ages." 

She gave me a graceful smile and replied, "Oh, do not worry. I understand. Boys can be raucous. My son, Uttar, is quite wild himself."

For someone who was quite wild, Rajkumar Uttar presented himself in a stately fashion, greeting all of us with a warm princely manner. Not even a strand of hair was out of place. Beside him, Rajkumari Uttara, his sister, was practically gleaming at the guests. I wondered whether her cheeks hurt. I would see their true colours soon.

We were distracted by a resounding clap. Silence was draped over the room as all eyes slid towards Kanha.

He had never looked more stern.

"Everybody, it is time to plan a war."

*****
My dear readers, let the planning for the great war begin!

What can be said about the reunion? Bittersweet? Any thoughts on Angaraj Karna? I must say, I harbour rather a soft spot for him.

Vote and comment!

Love.