2.

My heart leaped and lurched in my chest as the Palace of Anga came closer and closer. It was true, the palace was small but it's classical beauty and elegance never failed to mesmerize me. Unlike other palaces that I have had the pleasure of staying in (except Indraprastha and my own small palace in the future), this palace was cozier. It was my second home. My sakha's home.

And there he was! Under the dazzling Sun, he was a glorious sight to behold. His legendary golden kavach and kundals glittered in the day's radiance. His skin was a luscious cream colour and his amber eyes glowed with pleasure.

I hurried down the steps of his chariot, placing my palm in his waiting hand. His elegant digits folded over mine, squeezing lightly as he smiled down at me. It had been only three weeks since I had last seen him but it had felt like eternity.

"Angaraj!" I exclaimed, knowing that the title would bristle him. He visibly shifted and I laughed out loud.

"Mrinali," he greeted, his beautiful smile widening. Right then, the urge to embrace him overwhelmed me completely. It was a herculean task to hold back until we had reached the interiors of his home. When we did, I practically tackled him into a hug, squealing. With him, I was somehow childish as well as extremely mature. And I had always loved that I could swing between both and Karna would gracefully entertain both sides of me. Karna placed his arms around me, his laughter tinkling in my ear.

"I missed you, sakha. So, so much." I confessed.

He only pulled me closer, "I missed you too, sakhi."

"Mrinali!" A mellifluous voice called and I jumped out of his embrace to see his family there. I was giddy with happiness as I embraced Vrushali, Radha Ma and Shona. I touched Adhiratha Pita's feet. He pressed him palm on the top of my head, smiling fondly.

Rising, I smiled at everyone, quickly drowning into a joyous chorus of chatter. Vrushali and I chatted amiably. Over the years, she had become the sister I never had. And Radha Ma, as always gushed over me, my looks, my well-being, my impending marriage.

"When will you get married, child?" She would implore every time we met. "It is high time you found yourself a husband. Ask your mother to hold a swayamvar, I am sure she also wishes the same."

When she asked this time, Karna interrupted me before I could offer her another sorry explanation. "If Mrinali had it her way, Ma, she would remain unattached her whole life."

He was right but that didn't stop me from sending a withering glare his way. The amused look on Karna's face only magnified.

"Angaraj," I said pointedly and he frowned immediately, much to mine and Shona's delight, "let me answer for myself."

Taking her hands in mine, I told Radha Ma, quite earnestly, "Ma, I do not mind marrying. But for love and nothing else. I do not want a swayamvar. I will simply marry the man I love." The old lady gave in easily albeit begrudgingly.

Most people would have called me a fool–they preached that marriages amongst royalty happened only for convenience and not for love, one should make do with what they receive in that marriage. Thankfully, nobody in this household questioned my choice. They were all dreamers, with Karna (the greatest dreamer) at the helm. And they were all ideal romantics. Another reason why I loved this family so much.

These visits had a schedule. I would spend time with the whole family after arriving. Then, as the conversation subsided or when Karna was mildly agitated, he would beckon to me and we would go off alone. As we walked through the garden, we could vent about our troubles and the other would listen and occasionally, counsel. We would speak of philosophy, our dreams, monarchy, history and sometimes, he would entertain my controversial ideas. Karna was not big on controversy, strong-minded though he was. Regardless, he would give me a close-lipped smile whenever I spoke of such things.

"So," I asked as we strolled through the gardens, "how are things at the Court of Drama?"

Karna chuckled. "Hastinapur is fine. The Pandavas have returned at last. Apparently, all of them are married to Draupadi."

"All of them?!" Slowly, I studied him in my peripheral vision. His chest had tightened and his face was terse. He nodded, not meeting me eye. So the sting of her rejection still existed.

"Are you all right?"

The silence that ensued was almost too much to bear. It felt like my own heart was being roasted over a spit. I turned to face him.

He must have seen the pain in my expression because he managed a tight "Yes."

I stopped walking, placing a palm on his hand. He stopped ahead, turning his neck a little, looking at me from the corner of his eye.

"Radheya," I said softly.

"Don't."

"Radheya, those words were the words of an arrogant princess. You must not let it pierce you like this." I told him again.

He inhaled sharply, the tenacity of his eyes magnifying.

"Consider this," I added hurriedly, "she was in a swayamvar where all her prospective suitors were against you participating. Had she let you participate, they would have cursed the whole affair. Those curses would have besmirched the good name of her family. It is possible she thought that allowing you was more trouble than it was worth. Maybe it was not about you, per se."

He took in another deep breath. Slowly, his shoulders relaxed. He would not let it go but he would probably allow my explanation to be a temporary salve whenever the wound opened.

Anyone who knows the Mahabharata can say with confidence that most of Karna's troubles only rooted from the fact that he was a sutaputra. That assumption is correct.

It always amazed me how society conveniently forgot that he was their adopted son. And only a fool could look at his golden armour and earrings and believe he was nothing but a plain mortal. So they whispered the term and hissed it in his face as a shield. A shield to protect their incompetency and fragile ego and save them from his true capabilities.

Karna began walking again, I followed.

"Tell me, how is everyone at home?" Karna asked.

"The same. I go to the fields, learn the ways of business in the market and come back home to Papa's lessons. Ma is painting and singing. Nihaar is practicing his archery skills, you could help him. Ma and Papa would love it if you came to meet them."

He smiled. They were his second parents as much as Radha Ma and Adhiratha Pita were mine. "I will."

I contemplated telling him about Arjun's arrival. If I told him now, he would be agitated. However, if someone else told him later, he would be annoyed as well as upset with me.

I swallowed my indecision and added quietly, "Arjun is staying with us currently. He is...he is not bad." Only a half truth, he was much more than 'not bad'.

"He must have come to reaffirm the alliance between the two kingdoms."

"Probably."

We walked in silence until we reached the parapet. I leaned against it. "Be careful, will you? He can be....prickly. I know you can handle it but still, keep your guard up. Higher than usual."

I nodded.

"Additionally, we are going to practice archery the next time we meet, so be prepared." He commanded, his authority lashing out.

I grinned, bowing dramatically. "So it shall be, Your Majesty."

His answering smile soothed any apprehensions of mine away.

*****
Here comes chapter two with the entry of the handsome Suryaputra Karna! Tell me what you feel about this wonderful, tragic character. 

Don't you just love him?
I know I do. However, I love Arjun more!!!

Do vote!

Love.