"I think I should meet a couple of guys first, meet you outside?" I manage to grin at her. Willow buys my willingness and goes outside with her friends. I don't know where Lee vanished to so I grab a drink at the bar and make my way to one of the guys playing darts.

"Isn't that heavy?" I ask, gesturing towards his glass of vodka. The tall, lean blonde snorts, throwing his head back as though I'd cracked the world's best joke. I think he's completely wasted but when he throws the dart and doesn't miss I know there's more to him.

"Not heavy enough if you ask me. What's up? I've never seen you around here before." He turns around to assess me and I use the chance to assess him too. He's an inch or two taller than me, has dried blonde hair and is thin in a way that's scary and could also be attractive. If you're into hollow looking guys that is.

"First time. I'm A.D, from Isle," I introduce myself.

"Ah, Isle. Fucked up place," he tilts his head. I can't stop the frown. I mean, Isle high is annoying and can be pretty frustrating but that's normal for every high school. I wouldn't call it fucked up.

"Why'd you say that? It seems pretty fine to me."

"There's always a particular side, you've just stayed on the good side."

"You can't be so sure," I lull. He gives me a side eye and hands me a dart.

"That's true, you've got this 50-50 aura around you. Like you can't hold a bottle of beer but you could do something worse."

I take my aim. I didn't come here to get psychoanalysed by a drunk but I can't complain, if I'm going to get information I feel like he's going to be the one to tell me.

"You ever been to Isle?" I venture away from myself.

"A couple of times, I know a couple of people there too."

"Really? Do you know Declan?" It's bait. Declan is the beginning of a long string of people one could know at Isle and for many reasons Avery is down the line on that string.

"Jones? Yeah sure, he throws the sickest parties and he's practically always here. Landon and him go way back."

"So you know Jessica then," I conclude. Declan has a weird way of monitoring his adopted sister. He's a jerk and obviously you'd find him at wild parties, the kind of places he wouldn't want his sister to go. However he takes her along so he can keep an eye on her and so she doesn't go ahead and attend something worse.

"Yeah." The way he drags it makes me think he has something else to say but I keep quiet and focus on my target. .

One.

Two.

Bullseye.

"You're good," he grins at me. I drown the rest of my beer and I'm struggling for something to say when he speaks.

"You hear anything about Ave?" The casual way he asks makes me freeze.

Ave?

"Avery Chan? Never heard of her?"

"I have, just never...like that," I shift my weight. Even Reyna doesn't call Avery Ave, I mean that's the dumbest pet name I've ever heard. It's almost like you're calling Ape. Why does he even have a pet name for Avery? Who is this guy?

"Girls at my school think she had it coming for her. They never really liked her ya know?" He leans on the wall and focuses on the little dance floor they've created in front of us.

"They think so too at my school. I take it she didn't really have a lot of friends."

"Not many girls, except Reyna. Do you know Reyna? I saw you coming in with her."

If he's goading me for a lie then he must not know me. Well he doesn't.

"Met her a couple of days ago. Were you her friend? Avery's?"

"We were friendly."

"Most of the guys liked her, spoke about her like she was an object of pleasure." I leave my question in the air. Were you among those guys?

"Ave was freaking hot and many times I did feel like being more than friendly with her but I could see that she didn't need another admirer. She had enough on her plate."

"You know any of her admirers? Rumor has it that some guys playing for our school lacrosse team liked her," it's a lie but I don't want him to think I'm interrogating him.

"I didn't know her admirers but I know there was one guy who couldn't seem to stay away from her."

I cut him a glance, shocked to find his eyes dilated. Was there something in his drink?

"Who-"

"Yo A.D!" Declan Jones yells from the door step.

What's this dude doing here? And why now, when I'm about to find-
I whip my neck to the spot where Blondie stood just a second ago but it's empty. He's gone, and I'm just realizing that I never asked for his name.