30. Chapter (A Sisterly Spat)

Start from the beginning

Eliza winced at the sting of her sister's words, recognising the necessity of facing the harsh truth. The notion of severing ties with the enigmatic Magician weighed heavily on her heart, and the prospect of never crossing paths with him again fuelled her frustration. Yet, she acknowledged the imprudence of harbouring hope for a change in his sentiments.

Suppressing the lump that lodged itself in her throat, Eliza spoke with a resolve tempered by the reality of her situation. "Mayhaps I am indeed a fool, as you suggest, but I solemnly swear on all that is dear to me that my interest and sentiments for that man are sincere. Nevertheless, I am endeavouring to banish him from my thoughts. When the opportune moment arises to converse with St. Arcey, I shall lay bare the circumstances. As for Emmett, the path to elucidating the matters will be prolonged, for he has embarked on diplomatic missions in Europe, and the duration of his absence remains uncertain. All I seek from these gentlemen is a singular boon - tranquillity for an extended period."

Bella, tempted to interject with a sardonic remark about Eliza's potential entry into a convent due to the shortness of pause between the social seasons that would grant only a little respite, refrained as Jens abruptly burst into the salon at that very moment.

"Pardon the intrusion, Your Ladyships, but Mr. Phineas Gillespie has arrived in the company of his intended."

"Ah, indeed. They have honoured my summons," swiftly replied Eliza, and shortly thereafter, she welcomed the guests into the adjacent, more intimate salon, where the air was noticeably cooler.

Phineas's affianced was a mere twenty years of age, possessing a delicate countenance with fair, blonde locks—a quintessential embodiment of rustic charm. Eliza indulged in the occasional loquaciousness that accompanied the young miss, her conversation imbued with the typical banter of the countryside. Though at times overly talkative, Eliza did not mind it at all, for the fact that her own musings often meandered in various directions, frequently returning to thoughts of the enigmatic Magician.

Seeking a confidante within her own kin, Eliza believed Bella, the mischievous younger sister, to be a suitable contender. However, the sharpness of Bella's reaction caught her off guard. Much like the Magician, Bella opined that Eliza was hopelessly naive and as unstable as a leaf in the wind.

Good heavens, Eliza thought with a tinge of frustration, It appears even the enchantment of that kiss with the Magician was yet another of my ill-fated decisions. How many more await me on this winding path?

"Pray, Eliza, is there some vexation troubling you? It appears as if the details of our wedding embellishments have distressed you deeply," Phineas inquired, genuine concern etched on his countenance.

Eliza, attempting to compose herself, shook her head. "No, not at all, I... um..." she hesitated, her words faltering.

Bella, ever the provocateur, interjected with a sly smirk, "She's merely envious of your impending nuptials. Alas, she is destined to remain unwed, bereft of her own matrimonial celebration."

Eliza shot her a disdainful glare, as though she had heard the words uttered by Aileen rather than Bella. In the midst of this exchange, Phineas' intended accidentally spilt her tea.

"But what of the Duke—"

"There's no need for you to speak on my behalf, and besides, it's utter nonsense," Eliza retorted to Bella, her words hissing with an intensity that revealed the depth of her displeasure.

"And where's the injury? You have nought to be ashamed of; you're enamoured with a gentleman you've not even laid eyes upon," Bella feigned ignorance, a playful glint in her eyes.

"Isabella!" Eliza exclaimed, her countenance now flushed with vexation. Phineas attempted to suppress a chuckle, while Eliza, unsure of how to navigate the situation delicately, found herself at a loss for words.