22. Deciding for Herself

Chandraa barged into her father's room and demanded a minute to talk to him. The king agreed. Even though Chandraa is furious at him at the moment, she is still his dear daughter and he wants the very best for her. He knew that the decision to send her away with the Yuvraj of Vyushti was not right, but he had no choice. The King and Queen demanded so from him and he couldn't say no. Sometimes being a king means that you have to sacrifice your own family and even yourself for the welfare of the kingdom. 

Chandraa was too young to understand all this, he thought. But that wasn't true. She knew perfectly that all this was done for the sake of politics but she couldn't accept that her father would use her as a pact between nations. She thought that her importance was reduced to that of a lowly state.

"I want a swayamvar", she declared.

"A swayamvar? But I have already promised-"

" Did you ever ask me what I wanted? I understand why you took such a decision, but you could have atleast told me! I would've agreed happily, Father. Because I know you will always give the best."

"Child...", the king started.

"Please listen to me right now. I am hurt because you lied to me. So many people collectively decided to team up and fool me. I don't hold any expectations of the people of Vyushti, but my very own family? I had never expected this. You have lost my faith. I can no longer leave my decisions up to you. I want a swayamvar and that's the last thing I'm asking from you. I don't want any betrothal gifts. Good night."

"Chandraa, please listen-", the king tried to reason, but she had already left the room. 

~

Chandraa had gone to the Last Palace and locked herself in a room. Bhaaga had followed her and was currently banging the doors and screaming for Chandraa to let him in. 

"Chandraa, please let me in. I-", he stopped when he heard the sound of crying from inside. 

"Why should I let you in? Who are you?", she said in a teary voice.

"A friend. A well-wisher. That's what I am to you. Now can you please open up?"

"You are no friend to me. I know what your true intentions are. Don't try to fool me yet again, I won't be deceived this time."

"Chandraa, what can I do to prove to you that I'm sincere? I want nothing from you in return. I am sorry that you had to face all this because of me." Bhaaga said in a desperate voice. He could feel his throat drying up and eyes getting teary.

He heard the sound of a latch being undone. The door opened and revealed Chandraa with tears trickling down her red cheeks. Bhaaga went on to wipe her tears and hold both her hands.

"You can't cry. You still have a swayamvar to prepare for."

Chandraa looked at him, shocked. Of all the things, she hadn't expected Bhaaga to eavesdrop on the conversation that took place before. 

"You should leave before that. You wouldn't want to see me getting married to another prince." She said with a playful smile on her face now.

Seeing her smile, he smiled back wondering if he is promised happiness in this lifetime or not.

//hello!!! how are you? please comment, vote and share. thankss <33//