15. Unraveling the Past

(going back in time to the day when Shachi followed Suren)

Shachi faintly could see Suren at some distance. She pulled the reins more tightly and the horse trotted more quickly neighing.

Finally, after some time, Shachi's horse overtook Suren's and she stopped in front of him.

"What are you doing here?"

"Where are you going?"

"Shachi!"

"Suren!"

"Oh, how I love to hear my name from your mouth-" he said trying to change the topic.

"Don't try to divert the topic! Where were you going? You very well know which kingdom falls in that direction."

"Yes, I do. The kingdom of demons."

🌙

Palace.

Chandraa had asked a servant to find out where Suren and Shachi had gone.
(a/n: keep in mind we're still in the past)

The servant informed her that Suren was seen heading in the direction of the forest where demons lived.

"What type of demons?" she had inquired.

"Years ago, our ancestors came from faraway lands to this place. They found these monsters living here. They then, with the help of spells, have protected each kingdom's gates from them. But if somebody goes out of their kingdom's gates into their boundaries, they will surely attack them." Madhav stated.

🌙

"So if you know what is there, why are you still going there? Did you not even once think of me?" Shachi said, with care for him in her eyes.

"Do you wish to see Chandraa happy?"

"Yes, of I do. But what makes you think that taking this risk would make her happy? Are you sure that you'll save him? No right!!?"

"I may or may not be able to save him. But I don't want to live in the guilt that I didn't even try to save him when he called for help," he said, determined.

Shachi sighed, not being able to find words to convince him. He pulled the reins and went towards the forest, his face an emotion of purposefulness, with she following him from behind.