Chapter 15

"Hoshino Astra is 16 years old and has a history of medical issues. You were home-schooled for most of the time and I believe this is the first time you've experienced school life, right?"

He nodded in response. Astra fidgeted in his place out of nervousness. This was the first time he was being interviewed for a school entrance. Throughout his whole life, Astra had been home-schooled because of his lung disease. Astra only wishes for this to be over. The tension suffocates him, making it feel hard to breathe.

' Please let this be over as fast as it can be...'

"Looking at your mark right here, you seem to have a great teacher. It was average for students but quite impressive if we look at your side. Did you perhaps, have a private tutor or does your family teach you themselves?" Mr. Kaoru looks up to face the boy in front of him. Astra looked neat in the school uniform and his shoulder-length hair was tied up nicely, dangling smoothly on his right shoulder.

"My family does teach me from time to time so that I wouldn't be left behind. I pt can be said that they are my tutors..." He answered. Astra's voice was soft but at the same time, loud enough to be heard by the interviewer.

"Is that so? Then, May I know the reason why would you choose this school as your first place to experience school life?"

Astra opened his mouth before closing it back. He grips his hand tightly and looks down, seemingly hesitating to answer.

"It's okay Astra-kun, Take your time to answer." Mr. Kaoru smiled at him to ease him a little bit. Astra took a deep breath, calming his mind to think of a good way to answer this question.

His head plays back to the memory from last night's conversation.

Flashback

"You want to go join high school?!" Astra wince slightly at the loud shout. He plays with his pale hands and looks down. It was quite a surprise since Astra had been home-schooled for all his life. He never got to experience school life. And just now, he suddenly said he wanted to go to school, It was quite surprising to them.

Astra nodded silently. He took a deep breath before brave himself and faced them. "I had been thinking about it for a quite long time... Since my health is getting better and I am allowed to roam outside now, I thought that this might be the chance for me to experience something I never got to."

Astra's childhood consisted of him being stuck in the hospital. He never got to play outside because even a small dust could trigger his asthma. He used to breathe using the machine for 3 months and his immune system was weaker as the days went by. Astra was like a fragile glass that needed to be wrapped in a bubble and blanket so that nothing could harm him in any way.

Every day, he would always look out the open window to see a lot of kids running around happily with their friends and family. They didn't need to worry about the colds or heat that much. It would be a lie if Astra said he did not envy them. He too, wants to experience that moment. Not just being isolated and paralyzed in a hospital.

"I want to feel alive too. Being able to play around and having friends... I too wanted to enjoy this life to the fullest..."

Hearing no response from any of them worsens his anxiety. Are they mad...? Are they going to disagree and stop him?

"I-if you did not allow me. It's fine! There is no need to trouble yourself with this..."

Astra raised his fist and hit his head softly while whispering, "Sorry, that was a dumb decision..."