Chapter 17

It was a disaster

It was a disaster.

Everything was a disaster. You can't tell what will happen in every second that passes. Who will win? Who will lose? Swords clashing together, the ear-piercing sounds of canyons and guns—different powers can be seen in different people.

The sky is bright and azure, but blood is splattered on the ground, and wounded and dead people are lying around. Screams of pirates and the navy can be heard.

The moment Whitebeard pulled out his devil fruit, it was the signal of the beginning of the war. Thus, the next thing that happens is like a blink of an eye, and everything is in chaos. No one stops them from charging their opponent to save Ace.

Whoever comes Carina's way, meet her odachi. Her speed unmatched her foe, and before they knew it, they were laying on the cold ground, dead.

"It was you." She halted the moment she passed him by. Carina was back facing the man who was one of the reasons for her loss. "I saw you on his pendant." Without thinking, she swings her odachi, but the man is fast to react and avoids her sword, and before the thin string wraps around her, she moves away.

In the background, explosions happen left and right, but their hard gazes are not leaving one another.

"Donquixote Doflamingo," she says, making the man grin widely. "I would love to have a chat with you, but you are not my priority at the moment. Let's continue some other time around."

"Are you sure there will be next time?" he mocks. "Why don't you say hello to Rosi?" Before Doflamigo could finish his words, the odachi once again swung, leaving a small cut on his cheeks.

"I highly appreciate it if you don't utter his name." Venom laced Carina's voice, her eyes burning with too much anger. "Why can't I? He is my younger brother after all."

Carina hates his laugh, she hates his presence, and she hates that she's wasting her time on him rather than going to Ace. In a split second, the two blonds can be seen clashing with one another. Every string that made contact with her drew blood; the same goes for the king of Dressrosa. As long as Doflamigo is on her way, she won't be able to approach Ace. If she didn't let herself be distracted, she might be able to get near her son at this moment.

Both blinds are too fast for their bare eyes. They were like the wind.

The only thing that makes the two stop is when they hear a yell of Ace's name. With wide eyes, Carina stared at his younger son, Luffy. He was covered with wounds.

"Luffy, that idiot." She chuckled as tears built up in the corner of her eyes. Suddenly a thought came to her mind: if ever Sabo was alive, he too would come to save his brother.

Out of nowhere, sands wrap around the blond man.

"You're wasting your time on him," a grumpy voice said, Crocodile. "Leave this peace shit on me; he has a debt to pay."

"If you say so."

Carina was so close. She was so close to saving Ace but not fast enough to react to Garp's blow, causing her to fly away from his son.

"KAASAAN!" Ace wailed Carina's title, and hot tears started to build in his eyes. He saw his mother hurt; even from afar, he could see how she vomited blood on the cold ground.

Luffy came running to his mother in worry, but was blocked by Smoker. "Get out of my way, Smokey. Kaasan!"

"Not my son. Not my son."

"Please not my son. Fuck! I'm begging you, please not Ace. Not my child." tears streaming down her face.

"Sabo is already taken from us! Please don't take Ace too, Garp-san!" Carina yelled out. Garp's hand forms into a fist. These three are his family. He eats, trains, and sleeps beside them. He watched them grow, and he was with them at every celebration.

"Sabo?" Ivakov mumbled, still in debate over which Sabo she or he knew. Their chief of staff

"If Mugiwara boy is Dragon son, Ace boy is Roger son, and both Mugiwara boy and Ace boy are Carina children and Sabo's mother, Huh? This is a bit complicated? Did Carina sleep with a different man!?" Ivakov ruffles his or her hair in frustration as he hears Whitebeard laugh before gazing at him.

"Carina didn't sleep with any of those men. Ace, Luffy, or Sabo are not her real children. Carina raises those children even if it's not her." Ivakov's lips formed into an 'o' shape, finally understanding the messy family three.

Luffy was wounded too; facing the three generals is no joke, but he never stops charging. "Leave my husband alone!" Boa sent Smoker away from Luffy and let the boy run to his mother.

"Kaasan." Luffy kneeled down to look at the injury his mother had sustained from Garp's hit. And his blood boiled, seeing the dark violet bruise forming on her mother's stomach. "OLD MAN! HOW COULD YOU HIT KAASAN!" He angrily yelled at Garp. "I WON'T FORGIVE YOU FOR RAISING YOUR HAND TO KAASAN, YOU OLD MAN!"

"Luffy, look at me, son." The boy immediately obeys, and Carina caresses his hair. "I'll open the path for you; make sure you will be able to release Ace."

"Can you do that?" Luffy instantly nods and huffs.

"Good, that's my boy."

And so the two move in sync, Carina opening the path for Luffy and Luffy trusting her mother as he runs towards Ace. It was heartwarming to watch how the two protected one another.

"Carina."

"Mihawk." When Dracule tried to slash Luffy behind, Carina showed up; her odachi met his Yoru. He clicked his tongue in annoyance. "The last time we dueled, it was not a good result for you. As a friend, I will turn a blind eye for this. Leave before I change my mind."

"I owe you that. Luffy, let's go." Mihawk watched the two leave as he sighed. Carina is not in her best condition, not even when she was fighting her long illness. This war will be worse for her.

 This war will be worse for her