Chapter 5

Groaning and tossing around, Carina grips her bed sheet tightly as she keeps murmuring incoherent words over and over again

Groaning and tossing around, Carina grips her bed sheet tightly as she keeps murmuring incoherent words over and over again. Nightmare, it was common for her to have nightmares, but she still could not get used to them. The green scenery of the forest where her children used to train and hunt, Carina stood in the middle of it. Three boys passed her by; Ace was the one who was leading, followed by Luffy, yelling for Ace to wait for him, and last was Sabo, who didn't bother to catch the two, as if he was walking beside someone else. Sabo's lips were moving; he was talking about his dream of writing a book about his adventure. "I want Kaachan to be the first one to read my books!"

Then the scenario glitched.

The once-beautiful scene change into a field of darkness, with Sabo no longer walking alongside her but lying on the cold ground bathing in the pool of red.His eyes were open but dead. Carina's irises wavered, seeing the sight she never wished to happen. Her eyes reddened, hot tears forming in the corner of her eyes as she kneeled on the group, scouping Sabo's cold body.

"S-sabo." Her voice quivers, her breathing becomes rigid.

"Why didn't you save me!" Suddenly Sabo's head turned, dead eyes glaring at her. "You told me you wouldn't let something happen to us!"

"You promise you would protect me!"

"It's your fault I died!"

"It's your fault!" He was screaming at her, and Carina couldn't form a word. Her eyes became hollow. Right, it was her fault. She neglected her child when he needed him the most. It was all her fault that Sabo was not in this world anymore. If only. If only she could make a deal with God, she would be more willing to switch positions with Sabo.

"Carina-san!" A loud yell of her name causes Carina's eyes to fling wide, revealing her ocean irises with tears flowing down her eyes. Her gaze was drawn to her raised hand, which was clasping at something, more like someone.Kian sat on the chair, holding his hand, a worried expression on his face.

"Another nightmare." Concern laced Kian's tone as he used his free hand to wipe the escaping tears from Carina's eyes. It was only Kian who knew this side of her. The nightmare that haunts her, the guilt that eats her, her cries. Only Kian witnessed them because Carina doesn't want Ace and Luffy to worry about her state. She doesn't want to burden them with the guilt she's carrying. Carina wants to look strong in front of them, not this messy side of her.

"It's not Carina-san's fault. I know Sabo-kun won't blame you for what happened to him. It's just a bad dream, it's not real." Kian always says that it was not her fault. He always ensures that the real Sabo won't blame her far from the Sabo in her dreams. Indeed, Sabo wouldn't blame Carina for his death, but Carina blames herself.

"I know." Carina smiled, but Kian knew that the woman before her was faking it. "Because my Sabo is too kind, to the point where he would forgive this neglected mother of his." Carina didn't have to say it out loud for Kian to read what was going on in her mind.

Maribel Island is known as the City of Enchantment. You couldn't help but be captivated wherever your gaze fell; everything is beautiful, as if this island was crafted from a fantasy. Staying on this island is like living a dream.

"Be watchful of your surroundings and immediately report it if you see anything suspicious." Carina reminded the marines, all of them dressed casually to easily blend in with the people and not catch their enemy's eyes.

"Don't act carelessly. Remember, our enemy is not an ordinary group of people!" They saluted Carina, indicating that they would act according to what she just said. Satisfied with their response, Carina ordered them to proceed to their assigned location as her eyes wandered back to the people walking back and forth preparing for the special event. The joyful festival that she is sure will be ruined hours from now on. Engaging with the Scale of Justice has never been peaceful; it always ends in mayhem.

"They're here."

(A/n: I can imagine Sabo's reaction when he learns that his mother is blaming herself for his death. Let me know your thoughts!)

 Let me know your thoughts!)