Chapter 8

True to his word, Ace visited his mother at her base

True to his word, Ace visited his mother at her base. G-18 is located in the south-west of Pax Island, where Carina is stationed. It took him weeks to travel from Arabasta to Pax Island. Pax was a Latin word meaning "peace", and indeed, the island where the vice admiral is staying provided that peace to the citizens. There's no crime revolving under Carina's command. It's not easy for pirates to invade Pax Island, especially if their aim is to cause havoc. Death will knock on their door if that happens. Nevertheless,the island is very open to anyone who's decent.

Ace has been to Pax twice; today is his third time visiting the island. He hummed as he wandered around the town square. It was lively, as always. He remembered his first visit here. He was a rookie back then, and his first bounty was only a hundred million. The marines and the citizens surely are not merciful to a pirate like him. They chased him until the sun hid under the mountains, and when they caught him, he thought it was the end of his journey. It turns out his dear mother held a friendly competition where whomever seized him would be rewarded twice as his bounty. How generous of her.

The people of Pax and the marines might be a little bit biased. They might not let pirates easily come to their island, but when it comes to the children of Carina, they would welcome them with open arms. They would even hold a banquet for them. They love not only the Vice Admiral but also her sons. They knew Ace and Luffy for the reason that Carina always talked about them whenever she was on her rounds. In order to not stain his mother's reputation, Ace never did anything wrong to any citizen of Pax. On his stay, he helps around and casually holds conversations with them, as if he's not some pirate who also causes chaos.

"Ah! Ace my boy!"

"Ace? Kyahh Ace is here!"

"Ace-san! It's been a long time since you visited here." They greeted him warmly and eagerly. Ace returned the hospitality they were showing. He smiled and held a small talk with them, telling them that he had come to visit his mother.

"Ace! Come and join us." said by a man who had a mug of beer in his hand as he handed it to the freckled boy. Ace gladly accepts the offer and gulps it down, nearly emptying the mug. "That's one great beer. Let's continue it later, Ossan." The man laughed and replied, "I'm holding onto that, my boy."