Chapter 10

The cries of the infant were always unpleasant for Carina

The cries of the infant were always unpleasant for Carina. She hates it. Their high-pitched cries always irritate her. However, the moment she hears the wail of Ace, her heart skips a beat. It was beautiful. This child is beautiful. The freckles that scattered around his skin as if the evening sky kissed him, Carina couldn't tear her eyes from this baby, and the moment her rough and calloused hands touched his soft skin like it was a marshmallow, as Ace's small fingers wrapped around her large one, she had decided to stand as his mother.

Ace was a gift. A precious gift for Carina. Carina might not be the one who carried Ace for nine months in her womb, but she was the one who raised the boy and loved him as if he was her son. Of course, it was the same for her other two sons. Carina equally loves them.  

"Ace is chasing after Teach. Shanks, that man is dangerous, you know that. However, my boy won't listen to me. I already sent Eerie to watch over him, but I won't be able to relax until he goes back to Moby Dick..." Carina took a deep breath before continuing, "I'm sorry, I'm involving you here."

"I'm involved right from the start, Carina. Ace is my former captain's son. It's my responsibility to look after him too. I'll talk to Whitebeard to order Ace to withdraw." The redhead pirate replied as the snail offered a small smile, indicating that Shanks was reassuring her. "Thank you for informing me about Ace's whereabouts." Shanks heard another sighed from the other end of the line, and he could tell how much this situation affected the blonde.Carina had a lot of things on her plates, so much that it overwhelmed her, and the thing is, this hard-headed and workaholic blonde always refused to rest.

"I'll see you after meeting Whitebeard." Shanks added. "You're in the New World, Shanks, it's-"

"So? Our distance has nothing to do with my will to visit you." Now Shanks eases up, hearing a light chuckle from Carina. "If you insist, I'll reserve your favorite beer."

"That's more. I like it. I'll see you soon, Carina. Don't worry too much, hmm?"

"Yeah, Thank you. See you soon too, Shanks." No one other than Carina's children, Kian, and a few trusted friends knew about Carina and Shanks' relationship. Despite taking different paths, they have always been close to each other. Shanks knew Carina like the back of his hand; he knew everything about the blonde, and he could tell that Carina was terrified of the possible outcome when Ace faced Teach. She can't lose Ace. She already lost one of her sons, and taking Ace from her will be a war.