The Successor

" Mister, where are you taking me?" The little girl asked the young man who held her hand as they walked.

" Somewhere safe." The young man softly replied.

" But mommy and daddy told me to stay here at home..." She said, pausing in her little footsteps as she looked at him curiously. " They told me not to follow strangers like you..."

" I'm not a stranger." The young man says, " I know who your parents are."

" Oh! Are you their friend?" She asked.

"....No." He sighs, " But your father told me to come and pick you up."

" Really? Daddy said so?" She seemed unsure, but her eyes indicate she was trusting.

Naive, is what the young man would call her. But he really did come here to fulfill a task.

" Yes." And he doesn't fail to complete a task.

" Okay! If mommy and daddy said so, then I'll follow you, mister!" She smiles brightly, completely putting her trust into the young man despite knowing virtually nothing about him besides his invalidated words of assurance.

" It's about to rain..." The young man noted before  taking off his worn and torn jacket and then wrapped it around the young girl. " Wear this for now." He says before taking off his hat and placing it on top of her head . " This too."

" You're kind, mister." The girl comments as she happily accepts the gesture. " Mommy always told me to thank kind people. So thank you."

The young man brushes off her comment and they begin to set off to the rendezvous point as assigned by the task he'd been given.

A thought lurked inside the back of his head, the girl's comment about calling him a kind person....it bothered him quite a bit, since he was far from kind. The temptation to correct any misassumptions was at the tip of his tongue, but he understood that that will only complicate the task at hand. Nothing matters beyond success.

~~~~~~

As the young man made his way through the people-filled lobby, he was immediately scrutinized by the population. All eyes were on him as whispers fill the area, he immediately began tuning them all out and focused on making his way to the elevator.

" It's him....he actually did it..."

" I thought the higher-ups were joking about the announcement, but the look in his eyes say it all...and the fact he's even here; alive...."