The annoying, hot GYm teacher and me24

Start from the beginning

“You sure you should go by yourself? I mean you’re not feeling-“

“I’m fine. See you later.” I cut him off. He stared. I stared back and after several minutes, I was already walking towards the Seven-Eleven.

  I pasted the candy aisle, then the chips and finally came to the aisle I wanted. Pregnancy tests.

 I grabbed some and for some reason felt so guilty. Like I was doing some crime or something. I grabbed some seven-up and some saltine crackers, paying and heading back to the hotel.

**

  I tiptoed quietly through the hotel room and closed the bathroom door. Rummaging through the sack, I opened the flap and read the directions. It looked so simple when I would watch the same situation in movies, but not now. Now, I felt so nervous and sick, I wanted to die.

  I opened up the test and did what was the necessary thing to do. Waiting I paced and paced. What if it said positive? Cortez already has Hailey and doesn’t want anything to do with me or have another child to take care of. No. Every things going to be fine, everything will be okay.

I stared at the test, tears already gathering in my eyes at the plus sign. Sonavabitch, Why now? Why this?

**

  I watched the game from the side-lines. A pad and pen in hand, I took notes and watched as the quarterback on the opponent’s team throws it to his wide receiver, missing it a time out called. I watched as the players huddled around Cortez’s form. The guilt still at the pit of my stomach.

  Three weeks has passed and I haven’t said anything. Maybe I should quit. Tell him that this job wasn’t for me. I swallowed and glanced down at my still flat belly that gained some weight that wasn’t noticeable from the sweatshirts I wore.

  He’s going to find out sooner or later, a voice whispered through my mind.

  “Gem,” I twisted around and met Bang’s eyes. Her face looked even more tired than it did yesterday. She wasn’t dating Derek anymore, but now dated one of the linebacker, Thomas. He reminded me of a teddy bear, with that curly brown hair and doe brown eyes.

“Yes?” I asked, taking a sip of the cold water bottle.

“Cortez is wondering if you brought those extra gloves and hats for the players. It’s getting chilly out and he says he needs them now.”

  I stared at her and nodded, placing my pad on a nearby chair,” Sure thing. Tell him I’ll be there in a sec.”

  Walking across the grass, I dodged some people and made my way to the locker room. Barley even entering before the whistle blew for half-time. I hurried towards the break room, not wanting to deal with the sweaty players.

Grabbing my key from my pocket and setting down my water, I unlocked the drawer and grabbed the stacks of hats and gloves. Thank god they were here. I certainly didn’t want to deal with Cortez. I shoved the door closed and balanced them in my arms.

  Walking very carefully in my Nike tennis shoes, I grasped the door handle and walked by, smiling at one of the players as they passed by me.

  When I entered the locker room, it was empty. I stopped short. Shit, I forgot my damn water.

  Placing the clothes aside, I walked back and unlocked the doors, pushing through and spotting my water. I grabbed it and headed back, but only to cry out as the door slammed open, it knocking into me and slamming me behind it, the force impacting against my belly.

  “Sorry!” Came a shout and I glanced through blurry eyes, watching as the janitor went on his way, running.

  My mouth opened in pain, no noise coming out. A noise finally escaped when a sudden wave of pain hit me. I slid my hand towards where it was hurting and gave a cry of alarm when I came out with blood on my fingers. I slid to the floor and felt like something was being taken from. I made another noise of pain as a wave of pain hit again.

  I went into fetal position, tears leaking out of my eyes, knowing that something was wrong with the baby.  I felt blood rush down my thighs. A sob escaped me as I heard a shouted laughter and the football player’s voices hitting my ears.

 “This calls for a celebration!”

“Everyone to the stripper club!”

“I still can’t believe we won! Thanks coach.”

“It was all you guys. Has anyone seen Gem?” Cortez’s voice blared through my ears. I opened my mouth but I couldn’t speak. I clenched my thighs together.

“No. Sorry, I think I saw her heading towards the break room.”

Footsteps echoed through the hall. I didn’t know if I could take it. The baby. Something was wrong. Why was I bleeding? Miscarriage…the words whispered through her mind.

“What the hell?! Gem?” A voice rang out in alarm.