035

Chapter Thirty-Five;
Daylight

Kalea 'Ruth' Kingston New York City, New York

New York City, New York

Kalea quietly shut the door of her home before she headed into her car, she'd gotten her license and bought a car in the past few months. Sky worked from home, she had her own separate sculpture room and she'd be in there for hours. Her art brought in money and it relied heavily on her inspirations and the hours she put in.

Kalea was glad she wouldn't notice her absence for a few hours.

As she started the car, she glanced at her home before driving away. Although she was paying attention to the busy New York traffic, her mind was wandering off and she couldn't stop it. She hadn't even bothered to out music on, she simply let the radio just ramble on as she wallowed in her thoughts until she reached her destination.

"Ms Kingston, we've been waiting for you." A man stood in a black suit as he watched Kalea press the button to lock her car before dragging herself over to him. "It's just this way."

She exhaled deeply before she walked up the stairs and into the building, the cold air nipped at her skin as she walked through and straight to the back. As she followed the man, her eyes kept stinging but she simply ignored the feeling and took a deep breath when they finally reached the room.

"They're just waiting for you inside." He said before he pulled the door open and held it, waiting for her walk inside.

"Thank you." She said lowly before stepping inside the room and seeing her father's corpse laid out on the table.

"Would you like an explanation of how he died?" The mortician asked, smiling sadly at Kalea, who stood quite a distance away from them.

"Yes, if that's alright."

-XX-

"Where you been?" Sky stood in the doorway, moving to the side to let Kalea walk inside the house. She'd been working on her art for 5 hours and came out to see that the house was empty. She waited for an hour.

Then an hour turned into 4 and still no word from Kalea. It didn't help that she turned up to the house looking dreary.

"Can you give me some time?" Kalea asked as she walked straight to the bathroom and shutting the door behind her, she hadn't even bothered looking Sky.

Feeling completely lost, Sky shut the main door and slumped onto the sofa. She sipped some coffee as she waited for Kalea to finish doing whatever she was doing, whether it was showering or crying. Sky couldn't help but feel scared when she realised that Kalea was back in her shell again. She could only hope that it wasn't permanent.

Shooting up from the sofa when she heard the door of the bathroom open, Sky turned to see Kalea walk into the living room with a massive t-shirt on and her hair in a black bonnet.

Sky sat across from her with a worried expression across her face, she could see that Kalea was down. She was incredibly low and she wondered what had happened.

"He committed suicide." Kalea started with a shaky voice, "My father killed himself."

Sky froze and watched as Kalea exhaled deeply before looking up to her with a blank expression.

"I went to view his body and he's due to be cremated in 5 days." She continued, "I've known for a while now but I guess actually seeing his body—laying there lifelessly really made it sink in."

"Its only been a year since he was locked up, he hasn't even suffered an inch of what I've suffered." Kalea spoke bitterly, even in his death, her father was still a coward.

"I'm sorry, Kalea." Sky whispered, grabbing Kalea's arm to pull her into a tight embrace. Even though Kalea didn't cry, Sky wanted her to know she was here for her, regardless of how  she actually felt about the situation.

"Don't be sorry." Kalea wrapped her own arms around Sky, inhaling her lover's familiar scent which brought comfort, "Suicide is one of the biggest sins in the Bible."

"I worried that maybe if he prayed hard enough in jail, that he'd be forgiven. Forgiven by God, even if he genuinely felt regret for how he treated me, I still wanted him to pay the ultimate price without redemption."

"Now—I know he will pay the price."

Sky simply stayed quiet, she had nothing to say but she was happy simply being there for Kalea in their home.

As she held her lover in her arms, the tick of the clock they'd bought together months ago echoed in the room. The fire crackled in the background, the same fireplace that had seen their relationship blossom into the fruitful bond they now nurtured together. Even the framed pictures around the house were of them or pictures of them as kids.

Kalea sighed contently, she'd finally found home.

-XX-

Skylar held the pregnancy test in her shaky hand, the two lines making tears well up in her eyes. She fell down onto the couch as she clutched her chest, feeling a panic attack begin to set in.

That fateful one night stand had come back to bite her in the ass, everything about that night was messed up. The fact that it all resulted in her pregnancy was a twisted joke that the universe had to have been playing on her.

How could she ever tell Sky?

How could she tell Kalea?

Skylar sighed before grabbing her phone and calling the doctor's to set an appointment. She needed to know how far along she was and what her options were. Although she already had an idea of how many weeks she was pregnant, Skylar needed to know for sure.

Before she opened up a whole world of problems, which not only affected her, but her sister and Kalea too.

-XX-
Good Lord.