014

Chapter Fourteen;
Home

Sky DavisNew York City, New York

Sky Davis
New York City, New York

Sky watched with narrowed eyes as Skylar trained her first ever employee. The girl constantly had a hardened expression, her eyes were cold and the colour of her hair didn't help either. Hayden's hair was blonde bordering platinum, she caught most of the customers' attention because of how much her appearance made her stand out. Not to mention the blankness in her face.

Nonetheless, all Sky saw was a grinning Skylar constantly praising Hayden for her improvement and good job.

It was an early morning, 6am in New York but in this city, no one seemed to sleep. The café was bustling with office workers, teachers and students trying to get their morning dose of caffeine and energy before hurrying off to their everyday lives.

A part of her wondered what Kalea was doing right now, she felt that they'd finally reached a point where the gap between them was slowly closing. Inch by inch. Although they hadn't had sex, kissed or even hugged outside of the panic attack, Sky still felt the intimacy. She could still see the effect she had on Kalea, how she'd avoid her gaze and how she laughed at most of her jokes.

There was chemistry.

"What's for you smiling like that so early in the morning?" Skylar asked as she walked past her sister and into the kitchen, where she baked most of her goods. She grabbed her oven gloves before pulling out a tray of triple chocolate chip cookies, placing them on the counter.

"Everything's coming together in my project, that's all." Sky lied, all technically it wasn't all incorrect. Things were finally coming together.

"I'm happy for you, sis." Skylar grinned before her head turned back to her cookies and trying to refill the section which had already been sold out.

Sky nodded before hurrying upstairs to get ready for her lecture...and to see Kalea. There was a strict rule that they had to be extremely careful, which Sky understood but it still annoyed her that they didn't have the luxuries that other couples had.

Couple? Sky shook the thought away.

Kalea hadn't even reciprocated Sky's feelings in any way, shape or form besides from keeping her around.

-XX-

"You don't even be entering competitions anymore." Liberty stated, watching Sky carefully make adjustments to her sculpture. It seemed as if she was making the dress seem as if it was stuck to the woman's skin, as if she'd just gotten out of a pool or she'd been splashed with water.

"I don't have time, this is my final year." Sky replied, glancing up at Liberty before putting all her equipment back down. She watched as Liberty pulled a seat and sat down at Sky's station.

Liberty was the Fine Art and Sculpture's Assistant Professor, the exact same position as Kalea. Yet they were so different. In their mannerisms, how they dressed and even their energy.

Liberty exuded confidence and youth, she glowed in a way where you could tell she was a free bird that had never been caged. Her hair was in locs, long locs that went down her back and she'd dyed them ginger. She'd tied up her locs with a head wrap and she was wearing a chocolate brown trench coat over her white jeans with a white turtle neck. She crossed her legs over as she watched Sky flick through some books before going back to work.

"I be seeing you carry them books all around campus, what are they for?" Liberty asked, resting her chin on the palm of her hand as her elbow pressed on her thigh.

"I got em from the Religious Department, I wanted to add symbolism to my project." Sky shrugged, not even bothering to look at Liberty. "The assistant professor helped me out."

"Why you ain't come to me?" Liberty asked, faking her hurt before chuckling.

"You ain't got no degree in Religion." Sky rolled her eyes, "She really helped."

"Oh I heard about her, she's new. Ruth Kingston?" Liberty spoke to herself, wondering whether she'd gotten the name right.

"Kalea." Sky corrected before getting up and heading out to wash her hands.

Leaving Liberty with a curious mind.

-XX-

Sky glanced at the text message that she'd sent to Kalea hours ago. She hadn't replied yet. It was now 6pm and she didn't know whether to leave or wait to see if she'd reply. A notification alert buzzed through the empty corridor, leading to Sky rushing over to Kalea's house.

She jogged through the city before finally reaching the door step and knocking, feeling the cold begin to seep its way through her body. Fall was in its mid stages, nearly reaching the end before it finally transformed into winter.

It had been almost 3 and a 1/2 months since Sky and Kalea had met.

Sky knocked again before the door swung open, Kalea was standing with a towel wrapped around her body. She moved out of the way and quickly shut the door before locking it.

"I told you I left it unlocked for you." Kalea stated as she hurried off in the direction of the bathroom, not even looking too see that Sky was busy taking off her shoes before following her.

"I didn't see the text. My phone died." Sky shrugged, watching as Kalea washed the bathtub before walking towards her bedroom.

"Why you following me everywhere?" She finally asked, staring at Sky who was leaning against the doorway with a small smile and a mischievous twinkle in her eye.

"I just think you're stunning." Sky admitted, "You're beautiful."

Kalea stared at her with a small smile before turning away, most likely feeling embarrassed by Sky's sudden confession.

"You look good too, wait for me in the living room." Kalea said in a quiet voice before waiting for Sky to leave before she crouched down, feeling her racing heartbeat.

Was this anxiety or excitement? Kalea could never tell.

-XX-

"Okay so I've finished annotating all the books and I've put all the sticky notes on them." Kalea walked up with a bag filled with the books that she'd recommended to Sky.

She placed them on her coffee table, watching as Sky put the book she was already reading aside and sit up to look through the books. Each page had sticky notes, explanations and examples, she was beyond grateful. The time it must've taken Kalea to do all of this, it was time she was investing in Sky.

"I appreciate this. I appreciate you." Sky admitted once again, standing up and towering over Kalea as she closed the gap between them.

Kalea looked up at Sky with curious eyes with a hint of an unrecognisable emotion but Sky brushed it off. She simply wrapped her arms around Kalea and sighed, enjoying how warm the older woman felt before waiting a while until Kalea placed her own hands around Sky. 

"It's just my job, Sky." Kalea replied, which stung Sky a little bit.